We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

Hi all,

after a long deliberation I decided to book a Nile cruise with Thomson - going between February 19 and 26. The ship is called the Nile Legacy, which I found out is brand new / ish / and used to be called the Jaz legacy. I was going to book a trip to Cairo but this seemed a lot more relaxing than staying in a large city.

I have never been on a cruise before so I dont know what to expect. I booked full board and all excursions are included except the one to Abu simbel. Anybody knows how much would that come to?

Also, any tips what to take/look out for/keep in mind etc.

I am going with my mum, it will be the first time in Egypt or on a cruise for both of us.

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

You are not going 'out of season' at all, quite the opposite in fact, as it is June/July that is the 'low' season in Egypt, but what time of year you go will make little difference to the amount of hassle you may, or may not get.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

"I do hope all these `factory visits` are not part of the Thomson cruises."

They are, as they represent another opportunity for your guide to skim off more cash - in the form of commission from the diverse factories.

However, purchasing is not compulsory - you do not even have to get off the tour coach at these "shopping opportunities" if you do not wish to. Look upon them as (free) toilet stops.

Grays Thurrock...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

We are also travelling on the 1st may for 1week, hope to see you there, can't wait.

verwood
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

hi sharon...have they said which boat you are on ?

Grays Thurrock...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

I believe it's the Legasy ?

Grays Thurrock...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

Sorry not Legasy Regency also do we pay the visa in dollars or sterling ? On arrival

Edited: 25 April 2013, 16:45
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

You can pay in either, but if you do not have any leftover US dollars there is no necessity to get any just for your visa as a £10 note (GB) is readily accepted as payment for it.

verwood
6 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

im on the regency as well....lets hope we have a good time.not long now

see you there...mark

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

Hi there You have booked full board which means breakfast lunch and evening meal is included along with the cruise package trips which are included this will be Valley of the Kings, Hatchepsut Temple, Colossi of Memnon, East Bank of Luxor, Komombo and the Aswan tour. Extras will be the Abu Simbel by road or by flight, balloon, camel ride, Nubian village, St Simeons monestary, camel ride. I expect you can upgrade to all inclusive drinks on board this boat too which is great value for money if you like a couple of beers or wine. You will not be asked for any entrance fees they are included in the trips.

There are a few boats on the Nile that are all inclusive which means your food and drinks are included but no trips. This is not one of them

The staff, Egyptologists and reps are all very lovely and you will have a holiday of a lifetime. Enjoy it x

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Nile cruise with Thomson - what to expect?

Hi Helwa,

yes I looked at all inclusive boats, but for me and my mum the trips are more important than having drinks included. I have found one which was around £700 and to add the trips was an extra £200 per person, or thereabouts. And that is a relief about the entrance fees, thank you, I was a bit worried we would be charged for those.

The Abu simbel trip is optional on day 5, I really would want to take part. My holiday is a while away so I will phone Thomson for the prices nearer to the date. A few people have recommended we fly but I heard it is a llot cheaper to book with a local tour company rather than buying the tour onboard?

I am really looking forward to it, my mum doesnt know anything yet - she knows we are going on holiday SOMEWHERE but thats all she knows. A Nile cruise has always been her dream so it is her 50th birthday present from me and my brother.