We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking princess

Dartford
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Viking princess

Can any one tell me if there are tea/coffeee making facilities on board if not what have others done for this ie take travel kettle?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking princess

I would be very surprised if the Viking Princess has tea/coffee making facilities in its cabins and would be 99.9% sure that it hasn't, as I was cruising on the Royal Viking last week, which is the superior boat in the Viking fleet and I had a suite, that although having a jacuzzi, did not have a kettle etc.

From what I have been informed on past cruises, there are no kettles in cabins due to safety issues.

I do not really believe this 'reason' and have always taken a travel kettle onboard cruise boats.

If you do the same, be sure to put it somewhere out of sight when not in your cabin, as it my be removed by cleaners, as mine was, which is how I found out about the kettle restrictions.

The good news is however, that quite a few of the other passengers onboard the Royal Viking last week had been upgraded free of charge from the Viking Princess, which was not sailing and was a far inferior vessel, so maybe it will be the same for you.

Dartford
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking princess

Many Thanks will bear that in mind will post trip experience when completed.Not going till September though

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking princess

Things often change without any notice or obvious reason in Egypt and that is even without the present political uncertainties, so there is no telling what the situation regarding Nile cruising will be in September, but I hope it all goes okay for you.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viking princess

I was on the Viking Princess in mid march and had phoned to ask the company if it was ok to take a travel kettle etc. They said yes it would be ok. The reason there are no tea making facilities in the cabins was that a guest had left the kettle to boil dry and caused a problem in their room with this. It is easy enough to get a cuppa in the bar at any time if needed. - or possibly a flask of hot water., The Viking Princess staff were so attentive and the food was marvellous. It is in no way an "inferior boat" but may not have the extra touches you get from paying more on the Royal Viking. I have been every year since l999 and have never been disappointed with Discover Egypt's boats, staff or food. Will be off again in November.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Viking princess

< ' It is in no way an "inferior boat" but may not have the extra touches you get from paying more on the Royal Viking ' >

Then compared to the Royal Viking ,(listed as the most luxorious vessel in the Viking fleet) then that WOULD make the Viking Princess the inferior vessel of the two - would it not ?

That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Viking Princess, or that many people would not be perfectly happy with it, but that does not change the fact that Viking Cruises themselves rate the Royal Viking as superior to the Viking Princess and as you rightly point out, charge accordingly for that fact.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
25,078 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viking princess

Hello, I am considering taking a cruise from Luxor to Cairo in September (Viking Princess)

and would like to know how are the visits like : do you get enough time to really see things?

Another question : during the stop in Cairo, do you go into the pyramids or is it just a lookaround?

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Viking princess

Luxor to Cairo on the Viking Princess, not heard of that trip before (if I am wrong feel free to correct me). I know they do Cairo to Luxor/Aswan, but hadn't heard of a reverse trip.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 08:03
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viking princess

Sorry, but according to Viking's own website (www.viking-egypt.com/GetLink.aspx?SMI=20) they are still only doing the Luxor - Aswan - Luxor cruises with Vkikng Pricess and Royal Viking.

In fact, if one looks at their holiday packages page (www.viking-egypt.com/GetLink.aspx?SMI=7), this company isn't offering the long nile cruise.

Even the UK based travel company, Discover Egypt, that makes use of Viking's cruise boats isn't listing Viking Princess amongst those available for the long cruise (discoveregypt.co.uk/nile-cruises/…21)

9. Re: Viking princess

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Luxor