We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Tour Company

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
60 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Local Tour Company

My wife and I are just back from Luxor and used Petra Tours based in Luxor - run by the amiable Ahmed for 2 private tours. He booked a Cairo day trip for us with transfers, flight and guide in Cairo. For a little more he through in a tour of the West Bank (Valley of the Kings and Queens) which we did 3 days earlier. I paid considerably less than had I booked through Thomsons/Thomas Cook and all went like clockwork with 2 good helpful knowledgeable guides and comfortable transportation. Ahmed even rang me on our return to Luxor that evening to check all had gone well and to thank me for the business and for recommending him to a couple at our hotel. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. Hope this post helps others as I know I was looking for similar advice before we left UK.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Tour Company

Glad you had a good time with Petra Travel, I used them in January and was really happy with their service and will be using them again next February.

I would never consider using my travel company's tours as they are always far too expensive and besides, I would rather put my money directly into the local economy.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Tour Company

Hello :

Glad you have enjoyed your time ...wish you visit Egypt Again and Again :)

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Tour Company

So do I !!!!!!

England
Level Contributor
91 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Tour Company

Yep I also have been using Petra travel now for a couple of years. 10 of us even did the same trip to Cairo at the hight of the troubles and felt very safe and Petra's service was first class. Highly recommended also

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Tour Company

If you all posted reviews for Petra to their review section (NOT Multi-Day ones though since these are against TA guidelines) it would help Petra's TA ratings. See here tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g294205-…

See here for Help Centre notes

tripadvisor.com/help/how_often_can_i_write_a… and tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_constitutes_irre…

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Tour Company

Petra travel sound a good company, has anyone done a nile cruise with them thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Tour Company

Nobody really does a Nile cruise 'with' a local travel company, as they are just the 'go between' who set it up with the boat and have little else to do with it, so it would no doubt be identical whichever local company played that role.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 21:24
chesterfield...
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Tour Company

We have used Petra travel for all our tours since the company opened in Luxor and we always find them very helpful and reasonably priced.

Ahmed has always done his best his best to tailor make any excursion we have ever needed both in Luxor and Cairo.

We have recommended Petra to many friends who have used them for excursions and all of them have been more than satisfied with the service they have received.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 22:15
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Tour Company

After recommendations such has those above - we e-mailed them about a custom tour.

All we got back was details about std tours 180° in the other direction, so we gave up.

So, contrary to the above, we were definitely NOT impressed, after all the hype.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Tour Company

HI kv have you ever just delt with , just the boat ,for a nile cruise, if so how did it go ?