We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

Hello everyone,

I understood from an earlier post that Monarch flights to Luxor should be running today from both Manchester and Gatwick, but I cannot find any flights or holidays from either for any point in the future, only to Sharm. Have I missed some announcement on this? The options for direct flights to Luxor now seem to be limited to Thomson from Gatwick or Manchester or EasyJet from Gatwick, or the one flight a week from Heathrow on Egyptair.

Neil

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

That's about it Neil. You can also go via Cairo any day (from Heathrow), or fly to Hurghada and get a taxi/bus etc to Luxor (3 1/2 hours from Hurghada to Luxor).

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

Yes as Stu says thats it now and for winter 2013/14 season only Thomson LGW or MAN to Luxor.

Heathrow to Luxor Egypt Air on Mondays or via Cairo daily and from MAN to Luxor via Cairo everyday except Mon and Wed also with Egypt Air from June. No easyJet between mid July to mid Sept.

R

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

AND Thomson have put the cost of the flights from Manchester up now that they have the monopoly.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

Thanks Stu and ras2.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

Thanks Rowz. Yes, I noticed that. Typical. Surely there is room for another low cost carrier in the North, even with the political position being as it is in Egypt? But I guess Monarch's decision implies not. I suspect they are being extremely cautious. Bad news for those of us who don't just want to go to Sharm.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

The problem is that even the Thomson flights are often two thirds empty now.

A friend went to Luxor for a week after Easter and said it was incredible how many empty seats there were, both going out and coming back.

However, with fares like that they will NEVER entice people back to fly with them without making the fare more attractive.

I'm certainly looking at other options because Egyptair aren't that much more expensive and they are offering a scheduled service as opposed to a charter.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

Hm, food for thought. Thanks for your help.

8. Re: Have Monarch cancelled all Luxor flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:17