We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bottled Water Shortage?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Bottled Water Shortage?

There was no sign of a shortage of bottled water during my visit in February/March, but this article dailynewsegypt.com/2013/… suggests that there might be one either now or during the coming summer months.

I thought that perhaps some of the local folks over in Luxor could let us know if this is the case or not. After all, drinking bottled water in Luxor is an important thing to do, especially as the temperature rises towards summer.

Or, is this just another 'rumour' going the rounds?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

The price of a large bottle of mineral water had doubled from 2LE to 4LE when I was in Luxor a fortnight ago and the reason that the vendors were all giving, was that there was already a bottled mineral water shortage, although how true this may or may not have been I had no way of telling at the time, but the linked article would seem to possibly confirm this.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

There was a major fire at the Nestle/Baraka water factory which has caused a big shortage, bottled water is here but different brands. The prices are going up for many items inc water and soft drinks as tax rises come into effect.

R

Edited: 07 May 2013, 15:11
Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

Remember to check the seals on bottles you buy. If the price of water is going up then the refilling bottles scam could be doing the rounds soon.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

We heard about the tax rises during our visit - no sign of them coming into effect when we were there, but the rises sounded as if they were to be quite significant.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

The increase in taxes already took effect on water and Soda. The shortage was there for some time but other companies filled the shortage for more than a week now

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

What next - a plague of locusts?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

We had them about a month ago in Cairo. People here told me it never happened in Cairo before.....

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

lol!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

Found an article about it!!

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287902/Locust-…

Funnily enough, I saw a large cricket in Luxor at the WPP pool in early March. I was told that one is called a cricket, but if in large numbers, they are locusts. Have no idea if that's true or not though!! Just thought I'd pass that on - perhaps it got lost from the rest of its buddies!! I have a picture on my holiday blog page

…blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sunday-3rd-march.html

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bottled Water Shortage?

See?! :P

Back to the original topic, be aware that the MOH recently shut down 7 mineral water companies and some how every now and then I find them out there and no one here seems to care

egyptindependent.com/news/health-ministry-sh…

Get answers to your questions about Luxor