We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Hi all,

Hoping to go on a Nile cruise again next year.. Just in the planning stage at the moment..

On our first visit we did the one week cruise, second time Luxor / Cairo extension.. Don't fancy either of those again as one week not enough and don't really want a full week in Luxor.. Looked at Red Sea options but not sure on that area on things to do?

Neither of us are ones for sunbathing all day so would be bored quickly if not much else to do.. Have been looking on the forums at the possibility of staying on the Nile cruise for 2 weeks, cant seem to find any posts on that though.. Would it be possible?

Tour companies online don't seem to offer this as an option, would it be a risk to book flights and try to sort it with a local agency?

Thanks!

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Luxor to Aswan is usually up to 7 days, but as you will know there is a LOT of time doing nothing (except sunbathing). There is the cruise from Cairo to Aswan, I believe that takes about 14 days (not sure what there is to see from Cairo to Luxor though).

It is unfortunate that you get bored quickly, as on cruises they are designed for relaxing (after the morning excursions). I know you said you don't want a week in Luxor, BUT there really is enough to do in and around Luxor (that is not included in the cruise itinerary), so getting bored shouldn't be an issue.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Whilst agreeing with the points made in the above post, if you do wish to do 2 weeks of Nile cruising, which would effectively be 2 x 7 night cruises, then this would be something very easily arranged by any of the local tour operators in Luxor when you are there.

You could stay on the same cruise boat for the 'two' cruises, (but that is something I would think that might be a bit boring) or, for a bit of variation, you could do one week on one boat and the other week on another, again something that could easily be arranged when in Luxor.

Alternatively, you could do a Lake Nasser cruise on the first week and then a Nile river cruise on the 2nd week, thereby getting 2 completely different cruises, sets of scenery, sites to visit, etc. on 2 different boats, again very easily organised when in Luxor and far cheaper than booking it in the UK.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Thanks for the replies.. Food for thought there, as I said am just looking at our options so the more info the better :-)

I don't think we'd be bored doing it for 2 weeks, love to sit and watch the scenery go by (when sailing of course!) and can always get off when docked.. I'm reading that the 'hassle' is far worse in Luxor recently.. I can cope with it but it does drain you, 3 days was enough last time.. That's what is putting me off a week there after the cruise.

We booked our last trip with Cosmos (MS Magic) liked going as part of a group to visit the temples etc as I am a bit of a photographer and like to wander off or hang back snapping, would feel disrespectful if doing this with just us and a guide. This happened on first trip as we booked short notice and ended up the only English speakers on our boat so had own guide - ended up seeing far too much of perfume/alabaster/gold/papyrus places! (could avoid going in these in the large group).. The worry would be if booking locally would this be the case again? Think we could visit some places on our own easily too..

I'll have a read up on the forum for the tour companies..

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

If you book your cruise(s) locally you don't need to book any excursions (or only those that you want to) or the 'services' of a guide at all and IMO that is an added advantage of doing it that way.

You can visit ALL the sites on your own, you don't need to waste money on a guide or arranged excursions and then you can do your own thing and take as much time taking as many photos as you like. It is far cheaper doing it that way anyway.

If you do engage a guide however, remember YOU are employing HIM, so if you don't want to go to the rip-off alabaster, perfume, papyrus shops etc. simply so HE (the guide) can line his own pockets with commission, then simply tell him you don't wish to go to these places and that will free up more time for the places you DO want to go.

Norwich
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Hi,

The last 3 holidays we have had we've done 2 weeks on the same boat, booked direct with the cruise company and sorted our own flights. PM me if you want more info

Cheers

Bron

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Thanks, have sent you a message Bron..

You're right KV, think it would be easy enough to sort out visiting sites ourselves.. The only one I wouldn't be sure of is Abu Simbel.. Would we need to know the boat itinerary before sorting this or could we sort it whilst docked in Aswan?.. Have done both road and air and preferred flying as nothing beats the sight of the sun rising above the site..

Thanks again for the replies :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

If booking locally, you should be able to get a particular boats itinerary before booking or boarding it, but as you will already know, a Luxor to Aswan cruise (or the other way around) will have at least 2 days moored up at Aswan.

If Abu Simbel is a 'must do' for you then that might be another reason to consider a Lake Nasser cruise, as you can then approach AS from the lake aboard the boat, which is infinitely better IMO than looking at it from an aeroplane window.

Just a thought . . . . .

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Hi, what about one week on the Nile cruise from (Aswan-Luxor-Aswan) for 7 nights, then you take lake Nasser cruise ( Aswan-Abu Simblel-Aswan ) for another 7 nights, in this case, you will have a new experience on lake Nasser, it is more relaxing than Luxor cruises, and of course you will enjoy Abu Simbel,

Wish you a great Holiday

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

Thanks,

Have been looking at the Lake Nasser options and it sounds very tempting.. One question though, how would you go about leaving the cruise at Aswan or Abu Simbel (depending on which one booked) then getting back to Luxor for flights?

Even though we've been twice before its always been a package deal so this is new territory for me in booking things separately..

Appreciate the replies :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nile cruise for 2 weeks?

We have booked a driver and Egyptologist to drive us from Aswan to Luxor with stops at the various sites along the way. When we looked at flights there was nothing convenient - it looked like we any flight from Aswan to Luxor was via Cairo.

The direct taxi trip is about 3 hours on the desert road without tours, but we plan to make a day of our return.