We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of Luxor with tears of regret

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Out of Luxor with tears of regret

On 3 July a gigantic plane came to pick up all the "British" and as far as I know from contacts in luxor, that was the last plane seen at the airport.

I did manage to visit the Good Samaritan orphanage and also went shopping for foodstuffs and washing powders etc. I should have been visiting again .

Apart from that, I wanted to wander to the temple at sunset, but it was not to be.

There was supposed to be a "Protest demonstration" on Sunday 30 June in Luxor and was kindly advised to stay in the hotel... ooh, what a hardship.

I am so sorry for the families I know there.

The Iberotel, although it had about 20 guests, was brilliant.

The staff were very helpful and the grounds were kept immaculate.

I hope all the trouble has died down in a couple of years, so that I can return!

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

Not quite the last plane there are still about 10 a day but the last Thomson planes yes. But I share your sentiments and I hope it's died down a lot quicker than 2 years.

R

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

aswanmary, I am so sorry you did not exactly get the holiday you were looking forward to. I am pleased to hear though that you managed to get to the Good Samaritans and were able to help them. I would imagine life there must be tougher than normal during these times so I am sure your help would have been greatly appreciated.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

Thank you for your replies. it means a lot, I had more to do at GSams and think I'll be about 80 by the time the troubles have died down. Thanks for your support!

Xxx

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

Good! Airport still functioning. The Thomson's plane just loaded up with us bloomin British...never mind which airport they were due to arrive at, just took us all to Manchester..

OK for me but some were put up in hotels or had connecting flights arranged.

After all that, what was the rush?

I have heard that things have been made very hard for Christians in Luxor, but hope a minority of people are affected.

if you can manage, I would like to keep in touch and hear what is happening in Luxor, any news very welcome.

Yes, I am a tourist but also go to help out and go shopping for GSams.

Good Luck there

Midlands
Level Contributor
156 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

What?

When was the airport not functioning?

Why are we British suddenly "bloomin" ?

What was the rush?

I wouldn't wait a couple of years to continue your valuable and generous work for charity, if I were you, I'd send the cheque direct, for all the money you'll save not having to go back personally.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,094 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

A cheque in the Egyptian post? I think not.

But sometimes things stop quicker than we expect, and maybe with some of the wrinkles of the revoloution ironed out, let's hope so.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 02:58
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

Yes, a cheque in the post to Egypt could take weeks or months to arrive, if it were to arrive at all. And then, depending on which type of cheque, and on which bank issued, might not be able to be cleared through the Egyptian banks. And if cleared, would take a couple of weeks to do so and incur considerable bank charges.

All bona fide charities have to be officially registered and must have a bank account.

Send the money by bank transfer. Will be considerable bank charges but will only take a few days at most.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

The Good Samaritan Luxor website lists a number of ways to donate, including Paypal.

9. Re: Out of Luxor with tears of regret

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations