We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my time in egypt 3rd july until now

scotland
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
my time in egypt 3rd july until now

I arrived on 3rd july on easyjet flight from Gatwick, there were 92 people on board who had all travelled against FO advice. This was the day of morsi's ultimatum from the army-the streets were quiet on drive through town until around 8pm when many came onto the streets in celebration. The police and army who were present were all being applauded and everyone was singing, dancing and flag waving-I did not feel at threat at all and actually felt happy to see the people of Luxor smiling again. later this evening there was trouble in Cairo and Alexandria.

Early next morning I flew to Cairo and although there was more army presence on the streets the majority of people were going about their normal day to day business.(I did not go too near the square-so cannot comment on this area).In the afternoon I took a local bus to Alexandria. Arriving in Alexandria I seen a helicopter hovering above the town-the taxi driver told me there had been some trouble and the town was being monitored by air. I went out along the corniche later that night and everything was quiet-although all people were glued to television reports. On the Friday night I was going into town in Alexandria to eat-however -I didn't get there due to a Brotherhood march which had turned nasty. The taxi I was travelling in was advised by locals to turn back-I witnessed a couple of pick up trucks with people who were obviously hurt being rushed away from the area-also 3 ambulances were just arriving as I left. From 1/2 mile further back along the corniche everything was as normal-so I ate in small restaurant there. Next day

(Saturday) I went into town for shopping and there was signs of previous evenings trouble-lots of stones on the road, few burned out cars, broken windows-the army had couple armoured vehicles there and a couple of the roads were barbed wired off limits. The helicopter and fighter jets flew across several times. I did not feel worried or scared as I walked around the town-but I did have the realisation that I had seen no other Europeans at all since I had arrived -only another 5 Japanese tourists. I took local bus back to Cairo then flew to Luxor.

During the next couple of weeks Luxor has been extremely quiet ,I did not witness any trouble but I did hear about another Morsi supporters march- near the temple which passed peacefully. I heard about the attack on the airport but seemingly it was dealt with quickly and effectively.

During the latest call out to the streets-Friday evening yet again 1000's in Luxor demonstated quite peacefully,(although I know many of people who turned out were carrying weapons-knifes,sticks,guns) there was a couple of incidents-I heard of (I did not witness firsthand).One of tyres being burnt and another of some fight near television street. Luxor had a helicopter flying above town on this night too.

In the 29 times I have visited this is the quietest I have ever seen it. Many of the bigger hotels have 1-8 guests only. The tourists I did meet also said they had found Luxor extremely quiet. Its sad to see so many people just sitting with absolutely nothing to do-no work, tourists. The people still have hope that things are now going to get better-I hope it does too but really I think it will take a long long time for people to feel safe enough to return. I personally think the western media have not helped the situation by showing only the violence and not fully explained the position and showing many people in day to day life.

I am sitting now in Cairo waiting for flight back and it doesn't look as if there are many people who will be on the plane.

Habiba hand Weaving
Gift & Speciality Shops
Habiba Gallery
Shopping Malls, Gift & Speciality Shops
Souks (Market)
Flea & Street Markets
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,750 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

Thanks for the report - You arrived just after I had left on the 1st after a week stay.

Interesting comparison, although the demo on the 30th was similar, i.e. carnival atmosphere.

And not a tour guide in sight!

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
27,126 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

thank you, I am following the situation even if it is still a long time to wait until I'll cruise the Nile.

How is the situation in Luxor bazar, if you've been there?

is it safe to go?

Edited: 29 July 2013, 16:45
sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

Great trip report sboss. You seem to have been in thr thick of it cairo and alexandria. Did you get out on the west bank much in luxor?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

Fayruz,

I am puzzled, why do you think it may not be 'safe' to visit the bazaar in Luxor ?

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
27,126 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

@KV : not enough tourists, I 'm afraid only of being the only buyer on the Street :-)

and having to say to many "la shuckran"s without getting really to have a look around.

I've been there in "normal" times when Luxor was a busy town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

On my last visit to Luxor a few months ago, I walked the length of the bazaar and was the ONLY tourist doing so at the time, which is something that I had never seen before in 20 years of visiting Luxor.

The 'hassle factor' in the bazaar was I believe offset by the fact that many stalls and shops that had previously been open for trade were infact closed, so you may not have the 'battle' in there that you are expecting.

By all accounts and recent reports the situation is even WORSE now, with even fewer tourists there.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
27,126 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

it is a real pity, I still have some cotton shirts in "good working order" after 5 years and am looking forward to buy more.

scotland
Level Contributor
352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

I did visit the sook -no other tourists there at all. I did not get any hassle but many of the shopkeepers recognise me and many others just assume that I live there because im there so often. I also visited a coffeeshop on west bank one night-there were far fewer motorboats operating but the ferry was still running as normal-did not see many other people on west bank during my trip.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

Interesting reading ssboss - thanks for that.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
27,126 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: my time in egypt 3rd july until now

thank you :-)