We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

I am due to fly to Luxor from Sharm with my grown up family on 30th aug. Our intention is to go straight from the airport to Hotel Marsam - near Valley of the Kings - for 2 nights Just to visit the sights on the west bank, we are not interested in exploring Luxor at this time. Then we are booked on a Dahabiyya for 4 nights taking us to Aswan where we are booked for 2 nights before journeying back to Luxor (probably by taxi now) to fly back to Sharm.

Can anyone provide some hands on feedback as to the general `feel` in Luxor at this time. I appreciate that it is Ramadam and that there is a dearth of tourists but that aside, would we have any reason to feel threatened or nervous?? I am willing to travel against fco advice (I appreciate how things get sensationalised) but my husband is extremely worried that we are going to be on edge the whole time because of the political unrest which would inevitably ruin a holiday of a lifetime that we`ve been planning as a family for a very long time.

We have to make a decision very soon and I would really appreciate any help at all with this. I have been avidly following the Luxor forum daily on trip advsior but lately it just seems to be a barrage of verbal counter attacks with nobody actually giving any real feedback!

coventry
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

What do you class as " real feedback " because other than everybody on this forum changing their opinions or experiences you have already had feedback on Luxor .

The only thing I can say is that if your visit is likely to cause your party to be on edge all of the time is it worth going ahead with the trip ? ..... only you and your party can answer that !

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

I Finally had some guests in this week who are on holiday!

They are enjoying their holiday and have not had any problems or feel unsafe.

They were expecting it to be quiet but not as quiet as it is.

R

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

Thank you for your reply. Because we have to decide very soon and stand to lose a lot if we dont travel I just wanted to hear from anyone who is in Luxor at the moment so that we can make an informed decsion as opinions in our party are divided at present.

Thank you Ras that is very encouraging!

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

Hi Ras

I have been told by my travel agent that there are no boats or dahabeya's working on the Nile at the moment. We are booked on a dahabeya mid September. Do you know if this is the case?

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

I have a friend who just came from Cairo, where all the troubles are. He said he did not feel any threat or never felt unsafe as he was avoiding the few places of the demonstrations (Tahrir , Rabaa).

He enjoyed visiting all the sites in Cairo, and staying up so late at night in Khan Khalili (until 02:00 AM) with no problems. He said Khan Khalili at night in Ramadhan is lots of fun...And of course Luxor is much quiter than Cairo.

good luck

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

Hi Ras

I have been told by my travel agent that there are no boats or dahabeya's working on the Nile at the moment. We are booked on a dahabeya mid September. Do you know if this is the case?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

pietuf,

You should bear in mind that even when Luxor (and Egypt) was overflowing with tourists, only a very small percentage of all the people visiting there would read these forums.

As you will have read already in many reports, there are less tourists in Luxor now than there has ever been and obviously the FO advice by many countries does not help this situation.

So, because there is 'nobody there' at present and only a small percentage of those that ARE there (whether they live there or are visiting) will read or contribute to these forums, you are not likely to get that many replies to your request for 'feedback'.

For what it is worth (and it is just my opinion) as a regular visitor to Luxor, who has been there recently and who is due to visit again soon (regardless of FCO advisories) I would say that you are unlikely to encounter many problems following the itinerary you have outlined.

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

If you are staying at the Marsam. and do not intend moving that far from there except for sightseeing, I doubt that you would see anything at all. It is very quiet and peaceful at the Marsam.

No-one can say at the moment whether the dahabiyas will be sailing. There are a couple of cruise boats still operating, but the dahabiyas are all tied up as normal for the summer months. Most do not sail during the summer anyway.

Apart from a recent problem at the petrol station on the West Bank,all protests have been at night and on the East Bank.

But, no crystal balls are available, and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Are you prepared to come against FO advice and invalidated travel insurance?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

op

"I am willing to travel against fco advice"

oxford
Level Contributor
284 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor? desperately seeking hands on feedback

If you have travel insurance you will not be covered if you decide to visit, so you have to weigh up the huge risk should anything happen or, if you are taken ill.