We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there troubles in Luxor ?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Is there troubles in Luxor ?

With all the goings on in Cairo and Alexandria I have read many pieces of news saying the troubles go far down as Aswan and there has been some trouble in Luxor . I am married to and Egyptian from Luxor and have not heard from him in 3 days and was wondering if there was any news on the situation there . I have plans to come out in October but being european will this effect my visit as I would so like to see my family out there .I would be greatful for any news from out there thank you .

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

If you have 'family' in Luxor (other than, or relatives of, your Egyptian husband) then surely THEY are the best placed people to tell you whether or not there is, or has been, any trouble in their immediate area, why aren't you asking them ?

Many TA members who live in, or have recently visited Luxor report of not seeing any disturbances, but there are many photos and videos all over the internet showing quite a lot of unrest in some places there.

This would obviously seem to show that there is trouble in some parts of Luxor at some times, yet no trouble in other areas of the town at all.

So again, I would think that your 'family' there would be the ones to be asking whether there were problems near to where they live in Luxor.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

Hi. My mom lives in Luxor and has for a very long time. Previous accounts of civil unrest within the area have not worried her too much but this latest one, especially over the last three weeks or so, have worried her. Reports of gun fire and people with machine guns on the roofs of buildings along Television street are true as are posts reporting hotels burnt out and supermarkets and also local businesses. Military personnel have been deployed to the area although some have been killed as have by-standers and locals in the vicinity. People have been told to keep a low profile and obviously to obstain from certain areas where protests are happening or likely to take place. If you last had contact three days ago, I would think that he is safe and ok seen as many of the lives lost were about 5 days ago when the Christmas clothes shop burnt down consequently from arson attacks in and around Luxor train station and the main square. Another supermarket was also gutted by fire yesterday.

Those travel companies such as Thomas cook etc who are not allowing people a refund if they have booked to holiday in Luxor and hurgarda, shame on you! People have saved for a trip of a lifetime and unlike you, they are aware that the holiday will not be the same as when they booked it. To tell them that it is safe to go is clearly not true esp as some groups are targeting tourists of western decent. Maybe booking a holiday to the Maldives it could be argued that they could stay in their room or hotel grounds for the duration of their holiday especially as there is not much else to do however the same can not be said for Luxor where people use their hotel as a base for sightseeing. Few hotels, even 4 and 5* ones like Sonesta etc, have 'grounds' as such and even the Winter palace (hotel) grounds would be at full capacity if all residents were walking around them! Travel operators need to realise that not everything is about monetary gain!! If I was booked for Luxor in the next few weeks, I would not go! Saying that, if a tourist was killed en route from airport to hotel via a coach transfer (like the complimentary ones they offer...) when the tour operator said it was safe to go, that is one huge compensation claim surely...

3. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 22:35
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

Tour operators have finally stopped going to Luxor and are refunding people or offering alternatives. They are still, however still going to the Red Sea, since the FCO still allows it.

I was there for 4 weeks in June and had the odd trip around (by road to Cairo & by road and back to Aswan)

On the way to Cairo we stayed at Sohag, Minya and Al Faiyum, where everyone we met ans saw was the usual Egyptian very friendly.

Since our return all of these and also a monastery where my wife prayed, have had some form of troubles with in some cases, several deaths occurring.

Ragab's supermarket in Television Street that I visited several times also featured in a video purporting to show armed men on the upper floors.

When I left on 1st July I knew the problems were on the way - I can't see it being resolved quickly, no matter whose side anyone is on.

I will still be back, but not until the FCO says I can

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

I rang our tour operator Hays Travel yesterday, and I was told that is perfectly safe to go to Luxor because the local 'suppliers' have told them so! Also apparently, my insurance will still cover me because 'the suppliers' have said its safe to go! This is despite the fact that my insurance policy tells me that if I travel against FCO advice I will not be covered. We are supposed to travel on 14th September and are supposed to be cruising the Nile for the first week on a dahabiya. I have heard that no cruises are operating at the moment. The second week will be spent at the Winter Pavillion hotel. So if Hays insist on sending us, our holiday will be completely different to the one we bought, no cruise and probably confined to hotel grounds. I cannot understand how holiday companies can insist on sending people to places against FCO advice without valid insurance. We really don't want to go but don't want to lose a considerable amount of money, we'd like to be able to book a different holiday now and save the trip to Luxor for more stable times! Anyone else in the same predicament?

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

We were booked via Thomsons to have a very similar trip to yours, a week on a nile cruise and a week at Sonesta Luxor. Thomsons were very unhelpful from start to finish with both information and whether or not they would cancel, which they now have done and refunded us fully but it took several weeks. I think it is highly unlikely that your travel insurance would be valid under the current FCO advice and also highly unlikely that Hays can safely send you. My advice to you is to start phoning and emailing anyone you can at the company on a daily basis. I wish you luck.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

http://www.haystravel.co.uk/

There are some good deals from September with Hays Travel, good luck with any cancellations if you are booked and prefer not to come but if anyone is still looking to come take a look.

R

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

Knittykat

I have rung them 3 days on the run and get the same info each time, will keep going though and I intend to get an email address too and will email. We are also going to ring our insurance providers tomorrow to find out exactly where we stand if the tour operator inisist on sending us. And we will be ringing ABTA next week just to see what they say about the situation!

How far in advance did Thomsons cancel your holiday and were you able to rearrange anything else?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

Thomson are cancelled until October for London and April 2014 for Manchester. Hays uses easyJet who are still intending to fly from 11th Sept.

10. Re: Is there troubles in Luxor ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 22:35
Get answers to your questions about Luxor