We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Many thanks for sharing your slide show of your trek. Is hiking safe for a solo female traveller in (March 2014) and are the crevices wide?.

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Perhaps a PM to KV Explorer will answer your questions, as he is the person on here that does more mountain climbing than anyone else on the WB.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Agree with contacting KV

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

I certainly did not hike much in Egypt, and have no experience in desert hiking, but one of the big problems that I found in preparation for our trip to Egypt was the absence of detailed hiking topos (say, 1:25K to 65K). Usually, when there are no commercial hiking maps for a country that we are visiting, I tend to get detailed military maps. Unfortunately, the military maps from the US that are accessible to the general public are the Tactical Pilotage Charts, which are 1:500K. However, you can get Russian military 1:100K maps readily. See, for example, www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.pl…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
872 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

We are hikers and part of our arrangements was sightseeing walks in the Theban Hills with a walking guide. One trip was no prob, using, the pathways between the Workers Village and the Tombs of the Nobles, but the other up to Thoth Hill needed permission from the inspectorate because of the temple site up there being currently closed. Our Walk Guide negotiated access for us (and for the cynical, it did NOT require money..)

The impression was, with things being quiet, they are a bit jumpy about people wandering around on their own. I stress we did not feel there was any personal danger to us, from aggression, just a concern for site integrity. There is the potential for site damage/theft, or for accident/incident.

As experienced bushwalkers, used to dry heat and stony conditions, we know about adequate water, good boots, telling people your expected route and times, etc., but anyone disregarding such basic safety measures could soon be in real trouble.

And hiking seems to be something the locals consider to be a bit strange..

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Anisal, you don't say if you have any experience of travelling in Egypt.

First read the Top Questions on Safety and Women travelling alone - both on this forum and the other Egyptian forums to get a fuller picture.

Personally I would say it would be a very risky thing to do setting off on your own and as a woman, having heard experiences from experienced Egyptian guides about things that can happen in the desert.

Also keep an eye on the weather. If it rains hard the water streams fast off the rocks and through the valleys and can be dangerous.

Coventry
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

I recently did the 'up and over the mountian......Deir el Medina to King's valley. There was no problem from either end and the path is relatively easy to follow without getting lost, there are other paths when up there that you can take and usually there is always someone up on the mountain. I asked them if they could leave us to just walk alone and they did with no problem. Go explore and enjoy.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Thesit, you said 'we'. Does that mean you didn't do it solo?

Coventry
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

Not this time, I took a friend, but I have done it solo before with no problems.

(I'm a female in my 40's)

9. Re: Hiking in the West Bank, Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 07:21