We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

Hello,

I booked a Nile cruise for myself and my mother as a treat for her 50th birthday - I did book previously but that cruise was cancelled due to the ongoing issues in the country. I now booked again to go March 12th-19th with the Thomson Nile Legacy. I did read read posts a few months back about situation in the area but I was wondering if anybody had been recently? Are there many tourists, is the atmosphere tense or normal? I did read from people who visited the sights we will go to / Abu Simbel, Valley of the Kings etc / and most said they were pretty deserted.

Look forward to reading all replies! Timea

Emo Tours Egypt - Day Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Aladin Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Luxor and Aswan Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Kingfisher Tours Egypt
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

Ah ! Sorry, I got confused. And point taken about the Aswan-Abu Simbel flights originating in Cairo.

However, unless I'm missing something, the Egyptair website is only allowing booking on the Abu Simbel route once a week in March. I guess it's possible the other flights have been block booked ?

Stroud, United...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

We did a Nile Cruise a few years ago and some of our group did a bus tour to Abu Simbel. It left VERY early in the morning and it was a very tiring trip. I think 2 hours + each way.

For anywhere there take lots of small coins for tipping. Even 20p/50p - it's normal to tip for almost everything.

With all that it was one of the best holidays ever!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

NO! Please ignore the advice given in post 12 by Drobby.

'For anywhere there take lots of small coins for tipping. Even 20p/50p - it's normal to tip for almost everything.'

If you are going to tip please tip in the Egyptian currency - Egyptian Pound/LE. It is not possible for local people to change foreign coins into local currency (just as in the UK we can't change foreign coins either in Banks/Exchange Bureau etc.) If you tip in non Egyptian coins you are wasting your money and (actually) insulting the recipient.

Please read the points on money issues including tips in the Top Questions on the right of the page:

Money, Exchange Rate and Tipping

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

Also other visitors are then asked to change the coins into Egyptian currency.

15. Re: Nile cruise booked - current situation in Luxor??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:18