We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending Visa In Luxor

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Extending Visa In Luxor

Hi Everyone,

I will be required to extend my residency visa whilst in Luxor. In Cairo my visa was obtained from mogamma in Tahrir, does anyone know where the visa office (possibly the ministry of the interior) is located in Luxor?

Thanks

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

The passport office in Luxor is opposite the Nile Palace hotel you can get a years tourist visa for around 100le. However if you have already obtained a visa at another office not at the airport you may well have to go to that office in Cairo to get a new one. If you have not travelled to Luxor and are still in Cairo do it there before moving on.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

We travelled recently via cairo, got visa extension at passport st office luxor. No problem,

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

You'll need to list a Luxor address on the form.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

The poster states he got a visa in a Cairo office not airport where did you get your visa? I went to renew my yearly visa (issued in Luxor) in Hurghada they told me to go back to Luxor. A temp visa issued at an airport is different there is no paperwork required.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

In Hurghada I have renewed visas originally obtained at the Cairo airport and later renewed in Cairo. I don't have any experience with Luxor though. Not surprising to hear that rules are applied inconsistently.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 10:18
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

My visa expires on the 2nd, the same day I fly to Luxor. So I have a few choices, either get a one month tourist visa at the airport, or renew when I get back to Cairo or renew in Luxor. Ideally I would like to renew in Luxor as the Cairo office is really hectic. I have no opportunity to go to the Cairo office in the meantime as I am in class and on my day off (Friday), the office is closed I believed.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

I will ask the question on another forum.

You will not be able to get a month visa at the airport you have to arrive from overseas. You will need a current visa to check into any hotel because the police check the hotels daily for the arrivals cards and passport copies.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

I have heard that the queues in Cairo are horrendous because of the Syrian refugees so Luxor is a better bet but you have to submit your passport before lunch.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

Technically you're not supposed to be able to fly domestically with an expired visa. They do not check all the time, but they do sometimes. I'm not sure what they would say on the day of expiration. You can't buy another sticker at the airport; those are only valid and stamped when arriving from abroad.

The Mogamma is in fact full of Syrians- it's the only place that refugees can renew their residency in all of Egypt. However, the place is always a hassle regardless of that. You used to be able to go early morning and pick-up same afternoon, but I believe everything is held overnight now, so it's a 2-day process.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Extending Visa In Luxor

yes you are both correct. it takes 2 days, the first day takes around 20 minutes, but the second day is the hard part. with no real queuing system in place and lots of syrian, some libyan and some african refugees, it is really hard. ras2 any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations