We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
EDINBURGH
Level Contributor
81 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Luxor

I am booked with 2 friends to go to Luxor in March, I have been booked for many months but my friends tried to book the direct Egyptair from London to Luxor. I am going for 12 days via Cairo and got not a bad price of £420. The Egyptair direct price for my friends to travel on the 17th March and return on the 24th March (Monday to Monday) all week has been showing at £1039.95 per person, and after just checking it's still the same!

This does nothing to encourage tourists back to Luxor, and given I have just been emailed by one of the top travel agents telling me the hotels are very quiet why such a high price?

Luxor needs tourists, it is the main source of income for the local people and ex pats, but these prices will just put people off going.

The latest World news reporting around 49 people killed in the latest demonstrations in and around Cairo will do nothing to help the situation, even though Luxor is quiet, as is Aswan, they will again suffer because of this - it's really sad, given how peaceful things in Luxor seem to be.

Now is the best time to go if you want to see the famous monuments and temples with very few visitors. You won't get a better opportunity than now, but do shop around for flights or flight dates and it will normally be cheaper to go via Cairo which is no bother at all. I always travel this way to get 10/12 day holidays. Direct to Luxor normally only allows for 7/14 day holidays.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 23:14
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Luxor

"The Egyptair direct price for my friends to travel on the 17th March and return on the 24th March (Monday to Monday) all week has been showing at £1039.95 per person, and after just checking it's still the same!"

That's because its business class as all the economy class is FULL so its good for tourism in Luxor after all.

R

benjie3434
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Luxor

i have just booked and paid for the flight for may heathrow to luxor and it cost me £438 direct flight

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Luxor

Hopefully we may see Egyptair upgrade the aircraft to Airbus a321 as I understand a lot of flights are filling up.

4. Re: Travelling to Luxor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:18