We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat near The Sheraton

SW Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat near The Sheraton

We are shortly going to be staying at the Sheraton (again) and wonder what restaurants are now open. We used to use Maxim's quite often - is it still open? Does anyone have any uptodate info please?

benjie3434
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

hi the best restaurant is the Lantern which is near the Sonesta St george hotel. it is about a 12 min walk from sheraton or 3 mins in a taxis..........well worth a visit i highly recommend it

newcastle
Level Contributor
103 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

If your a none smoker give the lantern amiss, small place very smokey and owner very abrupt

This is my view from going there last January and having a bad experience there.

I wouldn't recommend it go somewere else.

Snobs is just down the same road and they have a none smoking area and the room is larger.

The staff at snobs are very professional .

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

You didn't review the Lantern after your visit, so it is a bit unfair to slag them off now, on here, rather than let the management give a response to a poor review. I have never written a review either, but I've never been.

Answering the OP, Taste of India is open - It has combined with the same owners Thai restaurant next door, Thai is currently available Tues/Wed/Thurs, although this may change

Edited: 31 January 2014, 19:03
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

I didn't think this was the place to plug (or criticise) Luxor’s eateries but, to keep the ball rolling, I have eaten in the Lantern and Snobs. Both IMO were OK but hardly memorable and, even for Luxor, “best” is perhaps a superlative too far.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

From recent visits I can say that PizzaRoma and A Taste of India are both open (check their websites for actual details) and that their standards have not dropped.

benjie3434
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

the lattern has been a non smoking restaurant for over 3 years

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

It's not near the Sheraton, but we love eating at a typical Egyptian restaurant, and that has to be Oum Hashim. I can't direct you, but it's well known to the locals, any taxi driver, or take a caleche to see behind the tourist area of. Luxor. We have eaten there in past years, and most recently ate there early January. It was the busiest restaurant in Luxor, it was full the day we were there.

Three of us ate there for 210le, we had 14 plates of different dishes on our table and the food was delicious. Never had an upset stomach eating there. Take the plunge, the locals eat here and it is very tasty. Oh, the price included soft drinks.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

The Lantern is definitely non smoking and a large restaurant you may have been confused with somewhere close by.

Maxim's is open and I understand is the only one open near The Sheraton at the moment.

The other restaurants listed above are all open.

R

South Wales Gwent
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

On the subject of the Lantern I think that the poster is grossly mistaken, the Lantern has been a no smoking restaurant for a few years now and the owners always give the warmest of welcome which I have witnessed on many many occasions during every annual visit to Luxor, there's definately something incorrect about that statement.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat near The Sheraton

Informed guesswork around Luxor thinks she was at 'Deans'

I was at the Lantern 2 nights ago - See tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Get answers to your questions about Luxor