We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned

I have just returned home form two weeks travelling around Egypt, having spent nine days in Luxor in a West bank Hotel, the El Mesala. My time in Luxor was split by a trip down to Aswan and then up to Cairo.

Luxor part 1 was a bit mad, trying do get lots of sites in three days. The VoK was busier than I expected, though most of the visitors appeared to be Egyptians. The other sites were virtually empty. There were no other visitors at any of the sites, we three were the only ones at most places. We saw two new tombs of the nobles, which was very interesting.

It got quite difficult, as we became the centre of attention for the various vendors around these sites.

Luxor part 2 was a little easier as we paced ourselves better this time. We walked the Theban Hills from Deir el Medina down to Hatshepsut, always difficult, but well worthwhile. There was no improvement in the amount of visitors though.

We went to The Urban Centre for Women near to Karnak Temple and this was excellent. They train women in a variety of crafts, including handmade woven scarves and bags of high quality. We bought a selection of items at reasonable prices.

The visit to the souk was sad. Many of the stall holders didn't even bother to try and banter with us over prices and we walked along quite unhindered most of the time.

We didn't experience any problems a all and never felt unsafe or threatened in any way.

If only people would start to return to Luxor they would find a wonderful place with very welcoming people.

I kept a blog whilst I was there for absent friends, so if anyone's interested they can PM me for the link.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 17:47
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned

hi

going to luxor in a weeks time and would like to see your blog

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned

I've sent you a PM

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned

Thanks for the feedback Rowz, very sad to read about the souk were many shops closed?

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned

It wasn't that they were closed, although a few were, it was the way they were just sitting outside them looking really depressed.

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned

When i was there a week ago there were quite a lot of tourists groups on the West Bank , russians italians and french...with even 4 ships setting sail south and 2 arriving this on a Sunday.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned

Oh how sad Rowz, can't wait to get back there, it sounds so strange as it's usually so full of life!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned

Could I please have a look at the blog too?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned

To save a succession of posts all asking the same, since members don't seem to know what PM means, Rowz's blog is at http://indianarowz.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 09 March 2014, 16:46
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
549 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned

Thanks to Rowz for sharing the blog....has given us a few ideas to fill our time in Luxor in October!

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned

Yes, big thumbs up to Rowz for her blog. Loved it !