We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro and British coins.

Essex
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Euro and British coins.

Please do not give Euro or British coins to the locals as a gift or when purchasing goods.

The reason is they cannot exchange them at the banks in Egypt - this can create problems for visitors following in your foot steps. They hassle other tourists to change into Egyptian pounds - this is where people get caught out and short changed especially with 1 Euro coins as they look like 1 Egyptian pound coins. I have witnessed many people getting ripped off and/or confused with the exchange rate and even worse scammed!

The only foreign money I use in Egypt is single US dollar bills for tipping until I get some Egyptian small change. These can be changed without problems.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro and British coins.

Certainly this is the case in Upper Egypt. Doesn't seem to be a problem in Sharm El Sheikh, where pound coins are more readily exchanged between locals and tourists.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro and British coins.

Yes - and eventually some British tourist has to bring back a pocketful of them since the banks won't take them there.

Many tourists get asked to change £ coins back into LE for the staff, but you have to beware of counterfeits!

Tip in local currency please - It's safer.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro and British coins.

Alastair 1967

On the Sharm forum we ask repeatedly that people don't tip in £1 coins as it's difficult for staff to change them and they have to ask other tourists to change them back to LE which isn't always welcome.

The DEs and regulars on the Sharm forum always rscommend tipping in the local currency, LE.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro and British coins.

What they said. Same in Cairo, please. When in Rome, use whatever the Romans used.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro and British coins.

OK well comments were based on giving and receiving pound coins in Sharm last year with no problem on several occasions. Sorry if anyone has found them misleading.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro and British coins.

I've never understood why folks travel from the UK with Pound coins specifically for tipping in Egypt. You wouldn't do that if travelling to say America or Australia for instance, so why do it when traveling to Egypt? Use their local currency which is what you would do if travelling anywhere else in the world. Simples!!

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro and British coins.

I know Marlscat, I agree with you. I'll never understand why people think it's ok to do this in Egypt. I'm not sure where this started. As you say people don't do it in other countries so why Egypt? It's a constant issue on the Sharm forum and the answer always is- use the local currency. It's an issue that does tend to stir up some strong feelings though for some reason.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 15:51
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro and British coins.

Totally agree with you Marlscat and Rollergirl.

9. Re: Euro and British coins.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 06:21
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euro and British coins.

I have regularly posted on the importance of tipping in local currency and thought it was a problem somehow fairly specific to Egypt. It seems it's just as common a problem in Morocco too. Where does this idea come from that 'they' are happy no matter what you give them and should be grateful whatever - which is a commonly expressed idea?

To tip in local currency is beneficial to recipient and giver alike. It saves so much hassle in many ways and saves the giver money whilst still giving a realistic, or even generous, tip.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor