We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying upfront with credit card

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Paying upfront with credit card

Can someone advise please: if I book a "non-refundable" room upfront with my credit card (saving a couple of hundred pounds), and then things go pear shaped, would I be able to make a claim to the cc company? Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

No, you could not. Non-refundable means just that....non refundable? Why do you think you are saving money by booking this way? Because they are giving you a good rate, so as if you change your mind and something happens, tough luck for you. That is why. So why would your cc company be involved in this? They won't be.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

It depends on how/why things go “pear shaped”. If you change your mind/plans or if events necessitate a change of your plans, then as said it’s your "tough luck". If, however, things (through no fault of your own) get fouled up at the other end, then you may well be able to make a claim.

In any case, it’s impossible to give a useful answer here without reading all the relevant small print and you might want to talk with the cc company.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 13:24
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

As already stated, it depends on why you are cancelling. Your decision - Tough. Something e.g. terrorism, forces you to cancel, then you should be covered.

Don't you have travel insurance?

If I was booking, I would print out the FCO advisory that day, so that I had proof, that, on the day of booking, the FCO said it was OK to travel.

I would strongly recommend reading this page https:/…set-72157634547339858

Edited: 22 August 2014, 13:36
NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

Thanks for the advise everyone - I WAS just thinking of any situation out of my control. I understood "my choice - tough luck". I do, or will have, travel insurance. Your link eLaReF leads to a photo of the rear exit at the WP Pavillion?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

Dohhh.............

Freudian Slip -I'll be using it shortly!

It SHOULD HAVE BEEN https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-insurance

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

If you are unable to travel, you MAY be able to claim on your credit card.under section 75. It IS worth checking this out

which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/secti…

A lot of people don't know about this and I AM NOT saying you can claim, but MAY be able to in curtain circumstances, but as been said before, if you change your mind, there is NO cover at all.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

Non refundable means non refundable by the hotel, not by anyone else. I am sure if you go into your bank or ring the credit card company they can tell you what they do cover.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

I bought a non-refundable rate on Ramses Hilton & a non- refundable cruise with Sonesta last year. I had to cancel, due to the civil unrest/Govt advisory and my insurance Company would not cover it I contacted the hotel and Sonesta and they refunded my money , they offered me either a refund or a credit. You would be surprised how generous some Company's were when they didn't have to be.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

Freudian Slip -I'll be using it shortly!

They don't let him in through the front door!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying upfront with credit card

Quite happy with that!!

I miss all the hassle from the touts!!