We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Bend, Oregon
4 posts
Save Topic
Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

My 10 year old son and I are in the early stages of booking a trip from the U.S. to Luxor in March of 2015. I am hoping maybe I could pick a few brains out there for some tips/tricks/advisories. My son wants to be an Egyptologist & this is a dream come true for us both. Any information would be greatly appreciated! We have already begun to learn the language, We are both open to going off the beaten path, hopefully experiencing less of the traditional tourist traps and more of the true culture. Also, anything I should be more keenly aware of as a single mother traveling with just my son? Thank you in advance for any help! No matter how small, everything we can know ahead of time helps.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Hi

You will find the experts and regulars on this forum an excellent source of information. Hotels are a personal choice. It depends if you want to be in the centre or slightly further afield but wherever you stay taxis are readily available and cheap. Read the hotel reviews by TA members carefully- they are more accurate than the travel agents descriptions! Having visited Luxor on three occasions my personal choice is away from the centre of Luxor as I enjoy the more peaceful setting. Recent forum posts by GParry from Manchester are an absolutely brilliant information source with vast details of not only the commonly visited places but also others off the beaten track. I am returning to Luxor in six weeks and we will find a guide/Egyptologist when we arrive ( easily done) rather than pay the vastly inflated prices that holiday companies offer. By doing this you provide an income direct to the people of Luxor- we have used local guides each time we have visited and they have always been excellent and we have never experienced any problems. I have also ventured away from my hotel as a lone female and although some of the vendors/street traders can be quite pushy as they are desperate for business/income a firm but polite no thank-you usually suffices- eventually! I have found the majority of the Egyptian people I have met polite, pleasant and willing to help. Have a wonderful time.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Presumably you have read the tips on the right hand of this screen.

I have previously found the website below to be helpful and accurate, though I'm not sure if it is up to date considering recent events:

http://www.luxortraveltips.com/

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Just get out there and enjoy yourselves. The locals will be thrilled to see American tourists and they especially love families with children.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

How long do you plan to spend in Luxor? Will you be travelling elsewhere in Egypt?

Luxor is a great place to take your son. So many different sites to see.

The east bank of the Nile has Luxor where most of the hotels and resturants are located. It is also where you may experience some annoyance with the hassle from taxi drivers, felucca captins and caliche drivers looking for work. Luxor is a charming place.

The West Bank has some hotels and is quieter. There are a few resturants there as well. Most of the sites are located here. There is a people ferry that travels between the east and west banks 1LE each way which makes it easy to stay on the West Bank and visit Luxor.

Suggest getting a hotel with a pool. It will give your son and yourself something to do if you need down time or it gets too hot.

There are maps of Luxor that you can look at in the top right hand corner - frequent question section of the Luxor forum. Very useful. The answer to the questions are very useful as well.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
82 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

You have to visit the local market in the WestBank. Down the street from the hospital and then to the right just before the Muslim cemetery. It is a small street up and then you get to the real Egyptian market be there 8 am on a Tuesday.

I would also take a ballontrip with hod hod soliman, they are just great. Last time I was in Luxor I did that first in the morning and so went to the market.

Pm me for more info if you want.

Bend, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Thank you so very much for the great information! I never would have thought to see out a local Egyptologist as a resource & guide. We have chosen to stay at the Al Moudir. It had great reviews & the current prices for the 5 star accommodations were a most pleasant surprise. It's comforting to hear from a fellow woman that the hassles directed towards women are not nearly what it's made out to be. Thank you again for sharing your experience!

Bend, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

I have to correct the name of the place we will be staying- it's the Al Moudira on the west bank. We will be staying for 6 nights. We wanted to make sure we had ample time to not only see the typical sights but also just enjoy being surrounded by Egypt. I have slowly been going through all the wonderful information on here in the forums as well as all the great topics the site itself has to offer. My son and I live in Central Oregon and have even found my local bank to be very helpful in exchange rate information as well as setting up a currency conversion before we leave. I want to be prepared for things like tipping drivers and the like prior to our arrival at our hotel.

Chester Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Well well you must be pretty loaded to be able to afford the Al Moudira,but if you can afford it why not.

At least you will have the knowledge that you have stayed at what is referred to as possibly the best hotel in the whole of Egypt.

The only downside that I can see is the fact that it is so far out,you will have to use a taxi for every journey but with a lot of luck you may find a driver who is willing to take you where ever you wish without ripping you off.

Please do not take this as a negative reply but go out and you and your very lucky 10 year old son enjoy every minute of your stay.

Bend, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Thank you for your reply to my question! I take no offence in any way from it. We chose the Al Moudira for many reasons. It's close proximity to sights as well as it being a bit out of the way is just a start. This trip is one that is long overdue for both my son and myself. I am a brain cancer survivor, I have been dealing with that fight for my son's entire life. He has wanted to be an Egyptologist since he was three. So this trip is a massive milestone for us both. My son has been running his own candy business for 4 years now & saving every penny for this trip. We have both worked hard to be able to go. After we get home it will be work as usual, back to our low class living standards and daily grind.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Just another couple of things I thought about. Numerous places in Luxor to get a guide and quite often hotels recommend so don't worry about not finding one. You have no doubt heard of egyptian tummy upsets. Having visited a few places in Egypt now and had "pharoahs revenge" on my earlier trips apart from the usual hygiene precautions I would advise not going directly from the heat to an air conditioned bedroom- try and do it more gradually! I also find the money is grubby so I always carry a small hand gel for use after handling money and touch wood haven't had any problems the last few visits. If you do fall unwell I have not found any of the UK medicines of much use ( guess its the same from America) but the chemists in Luxor will give you very successful treatments ( that are cheap)if needed and you don't need a prescription to buy them- that includes antibiotics. You mentioned on an earlier post about money. I generally only take a small amount of money as to date I have always got a better rate for my stirling in Egypt than at home. Perhaps someone who is currently visiting may be able to tell you what the situation is now. Had a quick look at your chosen hotel- it looks fabulous so I'm sure you'll have a ball.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom & 10 year old son going to Luxor in March 2015, advice?

Verity said it - research!

As well as here links look at the travellers articles linked at top right - many articles written by members. tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-s1/Luxor:Eg…

Look at 'Things to do' in the green header across the top of every page. 'Activities' gives reviews of travel companies, as well as the main sites on the first tab.

http://egyptsites.wordpress.com/ gives comprehensive info on sites.

Use Google earth to look at places and see where they are.

My own photos are at https:/… in collections headed Egypt....

etc.

etc.

Edited: 05 September 2014, 16:40
Get answers to your questions about Luxor