We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antinal no longer available?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Normanton...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Antinal no longer available?

I'm told you can't get this any more, what's a good substitute?

Thanks

Doug

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antinal no longer available?

Hi Doug,

Was there in August - September this year and had to get Antinal from the pharmacy( usual for me). If it is not available, just ask the pharmacist to recommend a substitute for it. In my experience, the pharmacy's are very good at their job! Even better than some doctors (for example - the one at Luxor airport - but thats another story), I had used antinal in Egypt and couldnt remember the name, the pharmacist knew exactly what I was on about.

Nefertari

belfast, northern...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antinal no longer available?

Hi Doug,

just back from Egypt a week ago and had no problem getting Antinal - but got it in a pharmacy in Aswan!!!.

norway
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Antinal no longer available?

I found this on another site. Hope it can help you

Stomach problems (Pharaohs Revenge:):

Antinal - (1 tablet 3 times a day) - 5 LE

Streptafenicol - (1 tablet 3 times a day) - 10-15 LE

Dexim - (first time 2 tablets, after 1 pill 4 times a day) - 15 LE

Cold and pain killers:

Night&Day - for cold, yellow pill for the night; white for the day - 5 LE

123 One Two Three - cold, headache, aches, reducing fever - 6 LE

Rheumatism:

Voltaren - (gel) - 24 LE

Motelium - (homeopati c) - 20 LE

Eye drops:

Visine - 12 LE (egyptian); 24 LE (imported)

Prisoline - 12 LE (eg yptian); 20 LE (imported)

Problems with bladder:

Urinex - 4 LE

Skin allergy:

Betaderm - cream - 10 LE

Calcium - 6-25 LE

Sunburn:

Aloe Vera Pan tenol - 28 LE (egyptian); 50 LE (imported)

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Antinal no longer available?

Doug

Intetrix is a good substitute for Antinal (assuming Antinal has been withdrawn from Egyptian pharmacies as well). Use Intetrix the same way you did with Antinal. Most pharmacists will aslo be able to prescribe other substitutes according to your condition.

Cheers

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Antinal no longer available?

I would also add the following to Molu's list above:

Abimol: A good pain killer and anti-fever, mild on stomach. Equivalent to Panadol to those used to it, and sells very cheap (about 4LE for 20 tabs)

Dramenex or Touristil: Very effective for motion sickness. Great for those who get seasick on boats or flights. Dramenex is the Egyptian version of Dramamine. Both Dramenex and Touristil sell very cheap (Dramenex is approx. 2LE per 20 tabs, and Touristil is slightly more expensive)

Dermazine and Panthenol: Effective creams for burns and sunburns. Panthenol can also be used for protection and cosmetic skin softening.

Cheers

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antinal no longer available?

Antinal is still available , just for couple of weeks they changed the way that the box look like, i mean the outershape , but it is back in the market and cost 5 egyptian pounds only

wish you all health

South Normanton...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Antinal no longer available?

Thanks everyone, some great information here! I'm off tomorrow am.

Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Antinal no longer available?

Hi,

I just got back from Egypt., Antinal is still available in the pharmacies. I bought it in March 2007 in Luxor.

Philip

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antinal no longer available?

I purchased 2 packs of 12 capsues in a pharmacy in sharm-el-sheikh on 1 July 2007, 5LE for 12 tablets

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antinal no longer available?

A wee word of caution if I may...from what I understand, Antinal is a very effective cure...I have helped people buy it and have seen the quick releif it brings....I have also several times on this Forum stated that "For the local bug - take the local drug"...forget Immodium.

Antinal is, however, a strong anti biotic (or a strong and effective something, I am not a Doctor!).

In many years of visiting Egypt, it distresses me to read of "Gippy Tummy'' and the like.

Most of the problems I have seen have been caused by tourists not using their brains...

A) Get on at Gatwick freezing - arrive in Luxor...hot!

B) Five hour flight - few glasses of something - (I do!)

C) Get to the ship/hotel, tired...get to the room...open the Duty Free.

D) Go to dinner...have not washed their hands since leaving home.

E) Grab a bottle of mineral water from the fridge and slug it down with a temperature differential of maybe 30C between ambient and body tempearature = shock to the system!

F) Go out next day in heat they have never experienced...without covering their heads!!!

G) Do not rehydrate their bodies by drinking a LOT of mineral water in extreme heat.

Then they come home and criticise Egyptian hygiene...this p1sses me off sometimes...end of rant!

Matt.