We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abu simbel: by tourbus or by airplane?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
10 posts
Save Topic
Abu simbel: by tourbus or by airplane?

I have planned a cruise on the nile, but the trip to abu simbel is facultative and can be done by car or by airplane. How long is the drive from Aswan (where the boat stops) to abu simbel. And how long is it by airplane?

Luxor
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Abu simbel: by tourbus or by airplane?

Hi B-Vamp,

You can go by bus, by bus take 3 hours from Aswan to Abo Simbel, you have to be rady in the boat at 3.00am, and you have to go with convoy, By airplane take one hour by plaane.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abu simbel: by tourbus or by airplane?

Don't forget that although the trip by plane is less travelling time, you actually have to wait at both ends for the plane to leave and you have less time at the site. You also miss out on the convoy trip across the Sahara and seeing the camel market and mirages. Also the plane flight is much more expensive. I was going to travel by plane but when I weighed it up, it was a better experience going by bus.

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Abu simbel: by tourbus or by airplane?

I'd definitely say go by bus. although its a bit of a chore getting up so early, the drive through the desert is beautiful with the sun coming up on the left hand side of the bus as you drive there. keep an eye out for the automatic missile launchers between the road and lake nassar,a nd the construction work on the 'new nile' just before you get to abu simbel. also remember to take a pillow from the boat/hotel and lots of water, you'll probably be back at your boat/hotel aroiund midday/1ish.

4. Re: Abu simbel: by tourbus or by airplane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 16:17