We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

London, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

Can anyone advise which is the better of these two hotels that I have found good deals on? They seem to get different ratings depending on which site I look at them but both look very attractive. Can anyone point out any negatives with either and are they in a similar location? Grateful for any info. as planning to go the first week in Feb.

Level Contributor
7,962 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

Hi I haven't stayed at the Sofitel Karnak only the Movenpick. The hotel is set out of the centre but I prefered it anyway from a noise point of view...saying that it didn't take long to get into Luxor itself (within 10 mins easily) and the hotel does lay on free shuttle bus and boat....a taxi for a round trip was only £3 anyway....

There has been a recent thread on the Movenpick that I replied to so here it is again!!!!!

Why I like the Movenpick................

1.The infinity pool overlooking the Nile is the best pool I have been in in my life!!!

2. The gardens are kept immaculate and are lovely to walk around

3.The staff are helpful without expecting a tip

4.The food is really nice...room service is great , very cheap and available 24 hours

5. Adults only pool available were I believe they bring you a free fruit drink of a morning....!!

6. Lots to do at the hotel if you are not just into lazing around the pool

7.Relaxed atmosphere all around the hotel

8. Beauty and hair salon...well you are on holiday!!

9. Nice kids area and kids pool

10. Good staff on reception who can advise and help you regarding places to see and any general questions you have

Some people on the forum have been slightly negative about the bathrooms (which could do with updating) but I found them to be very clean and the shower was quite powerful...in all honesty how long would you stay in the bathroom on holiday???!!!!!!

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

I have stayed in the Movenpick 12 times and love it,and am going again before Easter.

I have also visited Sofitel Karnak,for the day on a few occasions(before Movenpicks new pool was built!) and looked in the rooms.I found them small and a bit pokey and badly lit, with only say half a dozen facing the Nile.On the other hand the Movenpicks are due for a refurb. I believe.

The Sofitel is the other end of town from the Movenpick.

Another plus for the Movenpick is that there are more eatieries nearby (near the Sheraton), though you can get the free bus or a cheap cab.

Have fun.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

I stayed at the Sofitel Karnak last September and loved it. I didn't visit the Movenpick but think they are both similar distances from Luxor itself and both put on shuttle buses.

The Sofitel Karnak is stunning, the grounds are incredible and extremely well maintained, our room was spacious facing onto a little courtyard, we were on a ground floor so had a little terrace rather than a balcony. Air conditioning and bathroom were fantastic. The pools, staff, food and bars are all great. I have nothing bad to say about the hotel or my experience of Luxor (apart from hotel prices but that happens in all the hotels!). My only negative would be the evening entertainment which is severely lacking but I have since read a new team have been employed to improve that so maybe it has changed?

I have written a more in depth review of the hotel too.

I am sure whatever you decide you will have an incredible time! Have a great time!

Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

Both have their supporters and are outside the town with gardens, peace and quiet but easy access.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

See my report on the Sofitel Karnak (click on the link below) and comparison with the other main hotels. In my opinion the Sofitel is definitely the better of the two, I returned for a further 2 weeks last August - however both have a big fan base - but I like to think I have been honest in all appraisals. Both are a similar distance about 4 or 5 kms from the centre of Luxor but in opposite directions. The Movenpick is upstream in the direction of Aswan and the Sofitel Karnak is downstream. Mosquitos can be a serious problem at the Movenpick - not so at the Sofitel. If you require any further info please leave a message.

East Sussex
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

Re Sofitel Karnak - we are going on Wednesday - can you tell me if we need to take soap, shampoo, shower gel etc or are they provided in hotel bathrooms - thanks in anticipation.

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

i have stayed in both and love the movenpick we have stayed there many times because i have children i feel its the best for children its very clean, they are busy doing the rooms out so some have new bathrooms. The sofitel is a beautiful hotel, we stayed in a suite with a conecting room to the childrens room its very clean and not at all dull it does lack entertainment and only has a small childrens pool, where as at the movenpick the pool is fab theres loads to do theres also a childrens club and a zoo. There are toiletries in the rooms of the movenpick if you forget anything there is a bazar in the hotel, but you are best off going into luxor town center as the hotel bazar are pricey compared to the shops in luxor. We go all the time to visit family hope everyone who goes have as good as a time that we have everytime we go.

East Sussex
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

Thank you for your information

Plymouth England
Level Contributor
372 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

I have only stayed at the Movenpick but must agree with KAZL2000 it is a great hotel a bit dated but spotless. The grounds are well kept and the pool is fantastic. The ice cream is to die for.Staff are friendly and helpfull nothing is to much trouble for them. I will be staying there again next time we go.There is also a small bank and ATM in the lobby.

Level Contributor
7,962 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moevenpick Luxor or Sofitel Karnak

anyone noticed the original is an old post?!!! hee hee