We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
394 posts
70 reviews
60 helpful votes
Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

Until recently Lake Nakuru National Park used to be one of the best birding destinations around the world. With millions of Flamingos lining its shore, the was every travelers choice. Few years ago the water level in the Lake rose, affecting the alkalinity of the Lake. Flamingos feed on Algae which can only grow in all alkaline waters. Most travelers still owner several guide books with such information. Lonely Planet, Frommers and other guides have not edited the same. The main attraction in Nakuru are a few White Rhinos which can easily be spotted. There are also some two great lodges right in there for those who might just be keen on luxury and exclusive accommodation.

N.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

Thank for keeping us posted..

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
644 reviews
270 helpful votes
2. Re: Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

I recent went to Lake Baringo to see the lovely greater and lesser flamingos because they are no longer to be found at LaKe Nakuru. One can see both at Lake Baringo but not in the numbers which they used to be.

California
Level Contributor
606 posts
37 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

I remember the days when there were millions of flamingos in Lake Nakuru, making the lake a sea of pink. It certainly was a sight to see, specially from the top of Baboon Hill. On my last visit earlier this year, it was only a sprinkling of pink.

I still include Lake Nakuru as part of my itinerary every time I am in Kenya as I have never been disappointed. Animals spotted have been the elusive striped hyena, dik diks, black mambas, tree climbing lions, and a host of rare/unusual birds and snakes.

Last November, while entering Sarova Lion Hill, our vehicle stopped for a herd of zebra blocking the road, only to have a fully grown male lion pounce on the herd from the hill above, miss, and almost land on top of our vehicle!

Robbie

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
644 reviews
270 helpful votes
4. Re: Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

Thank you for informing me that Lake Nakuru is still a wonderful place to visit. I am an avid bird watcher and would defiantly return there with a qualified guide. I also realize that it a scenically beautiful national park.

5. Re: Facts About Lake Nakuru National Park

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.