We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valuables on safari

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Valuables on safari

Having never been on safari before I would like some advice about valuables.

We are staying in Lake Elementaita Lodge and Kicheche Mara Tented Camp and wondered whether it is safe to leave your passports, money, cards etc when you are out on safari or should you carry everything with you.

Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Valuables on safari

I have just come back from Kenya and Tanzania. Kenya was the safari and I would highly recommend that you take any valuables with you in a daypack. I never left any money or passports etc. anywhere--they were with me 24/7. Also remember, photocopy any necessary documents in the event you lose your originals.

Most people I came across were honourable, but remember you are still in an impoverished country. I would also recommend that you take with you what you truly need and leave any unnecessary valuables at home (ie: jewellery, etc).

The more jewelery you wear, the more you are thought to be rich and the more you will pay for most everything.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valuables on safari

ALWAYS take everything with you wherever you go. I made a grave error in Tanzania a couple of years ago when I took our passports/travellers cheques/currency with me to dinner whilst staying in a lodge and, not thinking, left my sterling in my travel wallet in my rucksack in the room. About £80 went missing.

Please don't let this put you off, it was the first time anything like this had happened to me in Africa. The majority of people are genuine so this was an unfortunate event which I learnt from.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valuables on safari

Where there is either a room or reception safe (or safety deposit) we always use it (even when it costs extra), but we always carry our passports with us. If absolutely no safe around then I'd never leave anything in the room, however well you think you can hide it.

london
Level Contributor
932 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valuables on safari

Hi

At Lake E Lode and at Kicheche there is a safe for clients to use. You put your valuables in an envelope , this is sealed and signed by you and the manager. You get a receipt and reclaim your bits when you leave.

IMHO this is safer than taking everything with you as tourists have been known to loose wallate etc.

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valuables on safari

Thanks for all the replies. Ire123 that sounds a great set up at the two places we are going to. I thought Exodus gave a lot of information in their Trip Notes, but there is so much information which is not included. This forum is invaluable.

6. Re: Valuables on safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 16:19