We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa airport

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Mombasa airport

Hi

Anyone know what currency they take at Mombasa airport on the way home at duty free and other shops.

Thanks Mary

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mombasa airport

The goods in the tax free shops are priced in dollars. Credit cards accepted. Vodka $4 a bottle!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mombasa airport

as stated the goods are in dollars so if you want to take back cigarettes, spirits and macadamian honey coated scrumptious

fattening but sooooooooo delicious Nuts . .take some extra dollars as the prices work out nearly half ....

Belfast, Northern...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mombasa airport

does anyone know what the limit is on the amount of alcohol, cigarrettes that can be brought back into the uk?

wales uk
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mombasa airport

Hi There

The allowance for cigarettes to bring back to the UK is only 400 per person.

We bring back 1000 each and have been stopped twice and told them and they have said that this is not too far above the limit and we have been let through with them no problem.

I don't think I would risk taking more but it's up to the individual.

Both times we saw people with large amounts and they were bieng confiscated.

I'm not sure what the alchol limit is but we always bring 4 bottles of cane each and have not even been asked about it.

Hope that this helps but please understand this is only my personal experiences.

All the best

Jason

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mombasa airport

OOOOh! bigjay you are very naughty !!!!!! but i do like you x x

The current duty free Allowance when returning ot the UK is;

Tobacco 200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos ; or 50gms Cigars ; or 250gms of tobacco.

Alcoholic drinks: two litres if still table wine.

One litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume or two litres

of fortified wine ( sherry ?) sparkling wine or any other liqueurs;

Perfume 60cc/ml and 250cc/ml of toilet water . 9 who the hell wants to bring the toilet water back ?????

and ( this will please a lot of husbands) gifts and souvenirs to the

value of £145...... pah !!!!!!!

If you get locked up in Dartmoor I will bring you out a pasty !!!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mombasa airport

The limit for fags is only 200 per person and a litre of spirits.

wales uk
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mombasa airport

HI Edna,

Very sorry if I got the allowance wrong but those amounts I bring back each time and never had a problem.

It is up to the individual but as the customs officer told us a few over is no problem but when people take the p--- then they have to act.

If stopped tell the customs the truth and they are very understanding.I of course mean the British customs and its up to you what you tell the Kenyan customs as I have heard of a few people pulling the wool over their eyes so to speak, don't you agree edna ?.(I OF COURSE DON'T MEAN YOU)

All the best

Jason

8. Re: Mombasa airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 13:19