We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

I am trying to decide between the 3 camps above. They all look great on the internet, but vary in price. Is the price difference worth it? What do you get for your money? They are all advertised as 5*

The quotes are as follows:

Mara Safari Club - 385 pounds

Governors - 495 pounds

Little Governors - 537 pounds

Any advice gratefully received!

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Safari Kenya Watamu - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Just to add that the prices above are for a 2 night stay with return flights from Ukunda.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Hi Bexstar,

All three camps are worth a visit, all tented and sited on the Mara River. Probably the best of the three is Little Governors but there is really not much difference. All three offer tents with en-suite facilities very good food and game drives in four wheel drive vehicles.

As you are flying from the coast you will arrive at your camp at 1100 where you will be checked in and shown to your tent. After lunch about 3:30 you will take your first game drive returning about 6:30. A quick drink and change for dinner served at 8:00. The next morning you are woken with coffee and biscuits before departing at 6:30 for another game drive returning to camp for breakfast at 9:00. At 10:30 you take another game drive arriving back for lunch at 12:30. At 3:30 you take your afternoon game drive. The same the next day except after lunch you depart for your flight leaving the Mara at 1:30 and arriving back in Mombasa about 4:00.

Governors are quite flexible with the times of your game drives, if you wish to stay out all morning then they will arrange a packed breakfast for you, or if you want to stay out during lunch then again they will provide you with a picnic lunch. During your stay the migration is taking place and its worth staying out for the chance of witnessing a river crossing. We stayed last September at governors and had a fantastic time and have booked again for this September.

Whatever you decide book it soon as accommodation is at a premium at this time of year.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Hi Bexstar. Not sure if this helps but we have just gone through all the thought processes and we have decided to go for Mara Safari Camp as am not sure that the small differences warrant the additional cost. Locations are all good; tents are all nice; all have good reviews; no swimming pool at either Governors (that can be nice to chill out in the afternoons); no power at Little Governors (which i think is nice - parafin lamps etc but will not appeal to all). But....as I have been typing this, I have just got an email from Denis to tell me that he can't get Mara Safari Camp at all - we are on the wait list so he has booked us into Governors. If you do go for Mara - you can request one of their superior tents (which is what we did) - larger tents with king size beds and sunken bath and better positioned than other tents. If you go for Little G then request tent 17 as this is their honeymoon tent. Good luck and hope you have more luck than us in getting what you want although the important thing is that they are all nice and you will love the Masai Mara!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Thanks so much for your posting - I have just this morning sent an e-mail to Denis requesting the Mara Safari Club!

I really hope they still have place left - keep your fingers crossed for me. I didn't realise they did superior rooms - any idea how much extra these are?

I am glad to hear you have managed to book somewhere, and the reviews I have read for the Governors have been amazing!

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Hi there. Seems to be about an extra $45 per room per night - so only about ��25/night. You can get more info at www.lonrhohotels.com/mara/introduction.html which is their own website. Most of their rooms are twin bedded (I think only 10 doubles) and like us, as this is your honeymoon, you do really need to ensure that at the least you have a double bed...am sure Denis will sort this for you!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Thanks Shelly,

Have just sent another e-mail to Denis...

I will let you know what happens!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Yay! They still have places, and we are booked into the luxury tent, so thank you for the advice Shelly!

All we have to do now is figure out how to pay the deposit in Euros!

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

That's great news Bexstar - am really, really pleased for you...you'll have to post a review when you get back...am looking forward to hearing about it! Denis has not asked us for a deposit - we have got to ring him to sort out payment when we arrive - maybe because we go in less than 8 weeks? He did say to us though that he can accept payment in cash - KSH, USD or Euro or by credit card so we're paying by CC.

England
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

Little Governors was fantastic - couldn't have wished for better.

Can't speak for the others; but wouldn't hesitate in going again.

(Hertfordshire).

Santa barbara
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little Governors, Governors or Mara Safari Club?

No question Little Governor's Camp hands down.

I have been several times and stayed at the other camps.

The difference is the size.

Little Governors has only 17 tents very intimate. You feel it is your own private camp.

The other most important expereince is the setting. You arrive by boat you feel the camp is own its own island. The huge water hole is right in front of the tents and outside dining area.

It is my clients most favorite camp and we are going back in Oct. 06

Cheers

V Miller