We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance to kenya

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance to kenya

To those of you (like me) who are still thinking of travelling to Kenya, Norwich Union have confirmed to me that, despite the Foreign Office 'essential travel only' recommendation, their travel polivies still cover travel to Kenya...

Phil

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

One of the better insurance companies.

Here's something I found on the Times...

If I go to Kenya with the current travel advice in place will it mean my travel insurer will not pay out if I get in trouble?

There's no succinct answer. Malcolm Tarling, spokesman for the Association of British Insurers says that insurance companies that stick word-for-word to their terms and conditions could argue that ignoring Foreign Office advice by visiting a dangerous country could mean no pay out.

He told Times Online: "If you travel against Foreign Office advice and are injured, insurers could argue that you are putting yourself at extra risk, and they expect you to take reasonable care. Insurance policies are not designed to cover you in what might be seen as carelessness. In the same way that you are covered for theft if possesions are stolen, if you leave an expensive watch on a sun lounger, an insurer could argue that you didn't take adequate care.

"That said, insurers would be unlikely to leave you high and dry if you got into trouble while on holiday. Whether a company pays out would be on a case-by-case basis. The first thing to remember is that most travel policies will cover cancellations as a result of changing circumstances, such as a change in travel advice."

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Thanks.

Ironically, even if I wanted to, Norwich Union will not pay out if I cancel due to changed circumstances.

coventry
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Hi

I have telephoned my insurance along with 2 other top insurers and got a definate NO but the answer is to call your own insurer to clarify the situation.

Even then i would ask them to put it in writting as the article mentions that they officaily have a get out clause written in , question is do you trust somebody at the end of a phone giving you such important information when the get out clause is in writting.

coventry
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Hi

I have telephoned my insurance along with 2 other top insurers and got a definate NO but the answer is to call your own insurer to clarify the situation.

Even then i would ask them to put it in writting as the article mentions that they officaily have a get out clause written in , question is do you trust somebody at the end of a phone giving you such important information when the get out clause is in writting.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Bassett

You obviously don't have very good insurance then do you, I went to the Halifax today and spoke to them, bearing in mind we are flying indendently with Kenya Airways and have none transferable tickets.

If we want to go against foreign office advise we will be covered if we fall ill or fall over drunk and break a leg but if we get shot we won't be covered.

If we go with foreign office advise and have to cancel our trip we will get the cost of our flight tickets returned obviously less our policy excess.

Personally for all I hope they down grade the situation very soon, with the talks on friday I am sure this will happen and then we can all go on our holidays with no worries.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

bassett,

trust an insurance company? have you been into the Tuskers already?

coventry
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Hi skipman

It took me 10 min to find the Halifax travel insurance policy documents on the net , maybe you would like to check out page 37 on exclusions and conditions sub section - general exclusions applying to your policy . It then states " THIS POLICY DOES NOT COVER YOU FOR ANY CLAIM DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RESULTING FROM ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ".

Then go to no.8 which states " ANY TRAVEL UNDERTAKEN AGAINST FCO ADVICE OR WHERE IT IS DEEMED UNSAFE TO TRAVEL "

So i would be having serious words with whoever you spoke to.

I always get things in writing as in the past Ive taken the word of people over the phone or even over the counter only to be told after it is too late

" I don't know who told you that but it is wrong "

so bitter experience has taught me to check ,and double check every word.

I also checked Norwich unions and from what i can see it looks as if it is one of the few that might be OK.

coventry
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Hi xbiomam

My point exactly, i don't trust the word of any of them if they said it was daytime i would go outside and check.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

No-one knows for sure how 'good' an insurance policy actually is until you try to claim! You only know in advance how good they SAY they are.

Only when they try to wriggle off the hook if problems arise do you find your interpretation of the small print wasn't the same as theirs.

An insurer refusing to provide certain areas of cover when you knowingly plan to travel against FCO advice doesn't make it a rubbish insurer. Perhaps overly cautious (granted, to protect their financial interests), but certainly not rubbish!

coventry
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance to kenya

Hi Skipman

Ive just spoken to The Halifax and they where very angry at the information that you say you were given. In no way is your policy valid in any way if you travel against FCO advice , i also told them about the misinformation on this subject and they are going to investigate further.