We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya with the kids

England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya with the kids

Hi

Planning to travel to Kenya in Feb with the family, mother 70+, 3 girls (between 9&5) and of course the token male, husband!

I'm not worried about the heat as they're used to travelling. We went to Borneo earlier this year and it's much further but the kids loved the whole jungle experience and coped admirably with the heat and humidity.

We went to Turtle Bay for our honeymoon (many years ago...) and i remember thinking that if i had kids i'd definitely bring them here because it was fantastic for them, but i can't remember the transfer time? The Voyager also seems really recommended for kids. Also would quite like to go back to Turtle Bay cos we planted a tree - yes it might sound ridiculous but i always thought i'd go back to see it in bloom!

We did the Masai safari, which was absolutely fantastic but a lot of travel. Ideally i'd like to take them all on safari, however if this isn't possible i'd leave my mum at the hotel with the 5 year old twins and just take my eldest. Failing this, i'd just settle for a great beach holiday with a couple of day trips?

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions. I know the kids may not remember it but i believe that the experience of the here and now feeds the soul.

Thanks

Sharon

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Safari Kenya Watamu - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya with the kids

Hi Sharon,

Turtle Bay is just the best place for kids and grown ups too. Take a look at their web site - turtlebay.co.ke

The transfer time from Mombasa is around two hours, the road has been greatly improved of late. Alternatively if you were to book your flights independantly, you have the option of flying into Malindi which cuts the transfer time to around 25 mins.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya with the kids

We've taken kids of varying ages from 3 upwards and found after a long night flight they just want to get to the hotel and swimming pool. Voyager transfer time is probably half an hour and they are brilliant with kids. Kids Club, fun pool, animation team to occupy them with activities, early suppers plus extra big superior rooms if you want them to share.

I would also suggest you take them on a private road safari to Tsavo. Maybe Voi Wildlife Lodge as they are kiddie friendly - family rooms, playground, pool etc. At least if you pay the supplement for a bus to yourselves you can stop when you want to for the inevitable toilet stop!

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya with the kids

We stay at Turtle Bay Beach Club with our son. He is now 10 and can't wait to get there ( we fly on the 8th Oct). We got married there 13 years ago and we always said we would take our children.

We took him when he was 7 and did an over night safari , Tsavo, Voi for lunch, Stalick over night then back. This was a good trip, but it is a very long drive back, and the road into Mombasa before getting onto the coast road is a bad as they get.

We are flying from malindi to Masai Mara this time booked through Abdul at Tunda Tours, we got a great price and every thing we have asked for. The funbase team at Turtle bay are fantastic, Our son was busy every day, he met kids from other places in Africa and made lots of friends.

He is already telling us what he is planning to do without us!!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya with the kids

if you are in mombasa i would suggest shimba hills, this would be a easy day trip for any age group. you dont get all the wildlife but there is interesting variety and also the beautiful dears of unique kind. from mombasa you are there in 2hrs or so no problem. its on the way to diani pass the ferry crossing.

have nice time in malindi.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya with the kids

Malindi to Shimba in 2 hours? I know the road has been improved a little but I would have thought double that.

Its a long way to take kids just to see a few deer (known as the rare Sable Antelope). There is a nice picnic area there which has great views. Would think the kids would get a little bored with that though.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya with the kids

pls read carefully before replying. i mean pole pole mzee. there is a swahili saying haraka harak haina baraka. yes mombasa to shimba 2hrs i just returned in september with the proof. thank you.

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya with the kids

Hi Mehs2,

Sorry but we totally agree with Tembofan concerning interest for your children at Shimba.It is pretty boring for adults waiting for the sight of the odd monitor lizard,let alone entertaining for young children.Perhaps a day safari to Mwaluganje Elephant Camp many be more interesting for you all.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya with the kids

Samahani, Mehs2,

Tembofan implied that it would take 4 hours for the trip that you said would take two hours and you replied <<haraka harak haina baraka>> which means <<hurry, hurry has no blessing>> Sifahamu ?

9. Re: Kenya with the kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 09:36