We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

Kenya
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

Hi all TA readers,

KWS is increasing park fees to all its parks in Kenya W.E.F 1st January 2009. They have not posted them on the website as yet but in general they go up to a max of us$ 60.00 but all dependant on the park you are visiting. They are still consulting on the matter and we should not definately in a few weeks time.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

That's a great way of encouraging tourists back to Kenya. Anyone wanting to travel from Koyiaki into the reserve to view areas such as the Musiara Marsh and the Mara Serena and Paradise crossing points could find themselves paying over $100 per person per day in park fees.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

Hi,

i agree. They are doing nothing to make the country more attractive for tourists. They have to learn, that you have to do something that will bring the tourists back to Kenya and not always things that keep the tourists away from the contry.

Many people are travelling to other countries which are also far away, but they are doing more for the tourists.

Yes, the landscape and the animals are really fantastic and great, but Kenya has still a lot of other problems and people know this.

I had the hope, that they will learn from the follows of the outstanding tourists but i recognized, that this is one point, they are not interested in. They have still the meaning, that the tourists will come back - but when? The tourism before the troubles was very high and brought a lot of money. It will not only need time to bring them back - there are also other things affordable.

In my opinion unfortunately they have not realized, that it is really affordable to do something like cancelling the visa fees or not to increase the park fees. But they have to pay so much salaries for too much PMs and it is more important to look that they have enough money to pay these salaries.

I know, it is a neverending story and we know what is going on - unfortunately. But they really have to find a solution.

At the actual situation, the country is not in the position for such thoughts to become an exclusive holiday destination. Therefore they have to do much more than only advertising their parks and reserves.

Kenya is such a great country and really worth visiting it, but they cannot live only from the people who are permanent repeaters. They are depending on new tourists and this will become very hard with always making higher prices.

Sorry, only my thoughts...

Bye

Chrissy

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

The problem we have is with the low-rev tourists who come in in droves in minibuses and "matatu"-type vehicles, with unqualified guides, who tear up the landscape with their unsuitable vehicles, break the park rules and in general despoil the conservation areas.

Increasing park fees is part of a 10-year management plan put in place to discourage such activity. It is only a small part of what we are doing to encourage responsible tourism in the Mara (I can't speak for other reserves/parks) because, at the moment, we are in grave danger of losing it altogether (hence the Facebook group with that moniker). Yes, of course we want tourism to recover in Kenya - but we are in the precarious position of having to balance that with responsibility to our environment. It's very easy to criticise the measures that are being put in place but there is a bigger picture at stake here. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. I see it every single day of my life, and it breaks my heart.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

"low rev tourists" - my that sounds rather snobby. I've seen a few "high rev" tourists who quite frankly I'd rather not share my holiday with (the one that I'd worked hard to pay for). Charging high prices and catering for the elite doesn't mean you get a better class clientele - we'll probably have gone to Majorca or Benidorm for our hols where we'll get a better welcome!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

"low rev tourists" - my that sounds rather snobby. I've seen a few "high rev" tourists who quite frankly I'd rather not share my holiday with (the one that I'd worked hard to pay for). Charging high prices and catering for the elite doesn't mean you get a better class clientele - we'll probably have gone to Majorca or Benidorm for our hols where we'll get a better welcome!"

"Low-Rev" is an industry expression, just like "Non-Rev". You seem to be taking my post very personally. No offence was intended. It's got nothing to do with "snobby" (sic) and everything to do with client-base revenue - and that's just a fact. Nobody said *anything* about a "better class" of clientele - show me where that was mentioned, please? But those of us who live here know where the problems come from, hence the 10-year management plan that has been put in place to address them. You are reading things into my posting that simply aren't there.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

Masaimiss - Do you think that increasing the park fee will deter the low-rev tourist in exclusion to any other tourist?

Who do you consider these people to be, what is their 'industry' profile? Interested to know as 3 out of 4 of my visits to the Mara this year have been in a minibus so maybe this is how I'm branded, rather than a person who tried to keep a few people in jobs earlier in the year when everyone else had given up on Kenya.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

"Masaimiss - Do you think that increasing the park fee will deter the low-rev tourist in exclusion to any other tourist?

Who do you consider these people to be, what is their 'industry' profile? Interested to know as 3 out of 4 of my visits to the Mara this year have been in a minibus so maybe this is how I'm branded, rather than a person who tried to keep a few people in jobs earlier in the year when everyone else had given up on Kenya."

Again, it's not a question of "who I consider these people to be". It's the conclusion of a protracted period of consultation and study of visitor figures and vehicle activity, resulting in the formulation of the 10-year management plan I posted about. The park fee increase is just a very small part (as I mentioned before) of that plan. Nobody is "branding" you personally, just because you have visited the Mara in a minibus but, unfortunately, the majority of the minibus/matatu-type vehicle users fit a certain profile and unfortunately it is these that give others a bad name.

However, one cannot argue with the fact, and it is a fact, of the damage and problems caused by these types of vehicles in the Mara, because of their inherent unsuitability to the terrain. If I had a dollar for every time I'd had to rescue a stuck minibus from terrain that it was unsuited to, I'd be a rich woman. In contrast, over the past few months, I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I've had to go to the assistance of a stuck 4x4.

I'm sorry if the conclusions drawn by the study offend those here who feel they fit into a certain "category", but you simply cannot please all the people all the time. And our ecosystem is far more important than a few fragile or bruised egos.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

I wasn't asking what you, personally, consider a low-rev tourist to be, I was asking how the industry profiles this type of tourist.

I'm not taking it (too) personally, I'm just interested in knowing what makes a low-rev tourist. After all, I've stayed in lodges and used a mini-van (a 4x4 and never been stuck), but I've mobile-camped and used a Landcruiser so that doesn't make me a high-rev tourist, so by virtue of a vehicle you cannot determine what one is or isn't, there has to be more to it - that's what I'm asking.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,140 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

Maybe we'll soon have high rev parks for those affording land cruisers and cheapskate parks for the mini bus brigade? Perhaps the KWS fees would be lower for the cheapskates? LOL!!!!

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed KWS increase in park fees from 1st Jan 09

Why not just ban the use of mini-buses (matutus) in the Parks ?

And also set big fine's for those who go off-road?

Or how about charging the tour opperators a yearly licence fee for each 4x4 used in the park's