We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Air Balloon Flight

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hot Air Balloon Flight

We are staying in the masai Mara and want to do a hot air balloon flight. The tented camp we are staaying in told us to book this through our travel agent. This is £300 each with our agent (kuoni) but I know other agents offer it at cheaper rates. Any idea if I can book it more cheaply with another operator (local or not) in advance and pay a bit less? Thanks!

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

You don't say where in the Masai you are staying. We have just got back Little Governors which do hot air balloon trips and the full price there is currently $385 USD per person - so quite a lot less than £300GBP!

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

We are staying at Samburu Intrepids and then Mara Explorer . Agree Kuoni are ripping me off here!

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

I know that the Mara Explorer can arrange transfers for hot air balloon rides as have stayed at a Heritage camp during my previous stay in Kenya. Try emailing them direct for a quote - sales@heritagehotels.co.ke Good luck!

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

Shelley 67. We are also going to be staying at Little governor's in October. When you went on your balloon trip and paid $385 pp did you book it on arrival at the camp or did you organise it in advance? If so how/with who?

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

Thanks Shelley I will try that although Mara Explorer told me I had to book through my travel agent.

Re wheher to book before arrival I think it depends on the season as to how busy they get. All the websites say book early but then I guess they would !

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

Hi Holidaybunney - they do advertise on their website as offering transfers for hot air balloons so maybe best course is to ask them which site they transfer to - if it's Little Governors or wherever, I'd then email them direct for a price.

Onionsr - I didn't actually take the trip but those that I spoke to at Little Governors had all booked in advance. However, they have actually got 4 balloons and they only send up the required number - one day we only saw 2 go up so presumably they were not fully boooked but the next day there were all 4. If you're going at a busy time of year then it probably would be better for your peace of mind to have booked in advance - especially as sometimes they do get cancelled because of weather conditions etc.

BTW am hoping to get my reviews and travel pages updated in next couple of days with all my piccies for Little Governors etc....

Bedfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

BTW forgot to say, I would book direct with Governors - more info on http://www.governorscamp.com/ inc their contact details by email and prices etc.

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hot Air Balloon Flight

Shelly67 - Thanks for the info I'll look into it.