We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute questions

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last minute questions

Hi All

Not long know 12th Jan we head for Kenys.

One or two things not sure of. What travel plugs do we need?

Staying at Travelers Club, does anyone know if Beach towels are supplied and/or is it best to take our own anyway.

We both smoke, I smoke menthol, what are cigs like over there and again is it better to take them with us.

Thankyou for your help.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute questions

Lucky you!

No adaptors needed as they use the same electric 3 pin plugs as in the UK. I would take one of those multi block things that enable you to plug loads of things into one as there are never enough sockets in the rooms.

Pool towels were supplied at Travellers when we stayed there. I prefer my own as they smell nicer than hotel towels.

Hubby smokes green More and they are difficult to get hold of in Mombasa. I would say buy your supply in UK duty free just in case. Keep to the legal limit otherwise the customs men get very interested.

There were a local brand of menthol cigs (can't remember the name but in a metallic green packet in Nakumatt) but the "expert" said they were rubbish!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute questions

Hi,

Can't help you with the towels or the tabs, but the electrical plugs are the same as in the UK - you don't need travel plugs

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute questions

Oops! Beaten to the draw by Tembofan - again!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute questions

Hi Hope I can help a little bit here

All the sockets in Kenya are compatible with uk plugs so no adapters needed.

As for cigs, buy local ones, sportsman are very similar to B & H and I am sure menthol would be available. The come in at about a pound a pack may have gone up a bit but still a lot cheaper than at home, european brands are also available everywhere and still a lot cheaper than at home.

Don't know about beach towels at Travellers, but most resorts provide them for a deposit.

Skippies Mob

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute questions

Thanks for all your help guys.

Will decide if taking own towels when I see how much room I have left. Taking numerous things for the local orphanages which is more important.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute questions

The locally-produced, most common menthol are SM, or Sweet Menthol.

But don't smoke them unless you wish to experience what it's like to put a blowtorch in your mouth and light it. They are vile.

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute questions

pool towels suplied at travellers if you are staying at the club side i suggest you walk round to hb side as gardens bigger and more room and its quieter

8. Re: Last minute questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 10:22