We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

I am going to Southern Palms at Diani Beach for two weeks and also going on a 3 day safari to Tsavo East/West and stopping at Kilaguni and Aruba Ashnil Lodge. I have found some details on how much to tip, but for room/bar/restaurant staff is it best to tip daily or at the end of your stay.

Thank you

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Hi

really it is up to you. if i am in a cafe eating i usually pay my bill and leave 20-30-40 shillings depending on what change i have. its not much but the locals can travel home on that amount after work. also if your tipping alot it can soon add up.

baseically just give what YOU feel is right.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

dont go overboard as it soon mounts up , little and often when u feel its right

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

We tip little and often, if the service has been good. Waiters, porters, pool attendants, room boys and even the security guys who keep you safe. We tip at the time of the good service apart from the room boy who we gave a tip at the end of each week.

If you take someone like a gardener they may earn 250 - 300 shillings a day a 50/- or 100/- tip is huge. They may be the only person earning in an extended family. A tip makes quite a difference to their income especially in all inc hotels where little money changes hands.

Safari drivers do best of all - around 500/- per person per day seems about average. We tip the driver at the end of the safari if he's done a good job - apply descretion.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

also if the tip has not been included in your safari price, usually the recommended tip for your driver/guide (if they are one person) is between $10-15USD per day per person. If they have been an exceptional driver/guide, about $20USD per day per person is good. If you want to give local shillings instead, that is good also, you just have to do the conversion.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Of course tipping is at everyone's discretion, but $20 per person per day for a safari guide is slightly high (well not slightly -- very high). I always recommend spreading the money around. If, say, you budget $20 a day in tips, don't give it all to the guide/driver. There are so many people that you rarely see that help make your safari a wonderful adventure. Please don't forget those people too. Most will agree that $10/ksh 800 a day is more than sufficient (per person) for your driver/guide if you're in a small group of 2-4.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

The link below provides some useful information

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-s606/Kenya:…

UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Thank you for all your responses they are very helpful

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Some hotels also have a central tipping box at the front area and tips are then shared among the staff by management though if an individual has been particularly outstanding then tip. Whatever works best for you...

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Most of the information I am seeing about tipping a safari guide is on a per person basis where there are several people in the vehicle. What kind of tip would be appropriate to the guide/driver (same person) when there is just 1 client in the vehicle? I have seen everything from $6/day to $45/day.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

Michigan Laurie -

$45/day... very very generous whomever that was! Don't think so.

Same as you would if with a group.

$10/day is nice. More if he goes out of his way.