We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good reviews of Monarch?!

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Any good reviews of Monarch?!

I've already booked my holiday to Neptune beach resort in June with Monarch, but then (foolishly) decided I'd have a look at some reviews of Monarch as I havent travelled with them before.

Suffice to say I am now well and truely scared after reading countless reveiws of delays, poor service, old, dirty planes and no leg room. I can live with an uncomfortable flight, but I'd be gutted if the flight was delayed for more than a couple of hours as my holiday is only for a week!!

Can anyone reassure me that Monarch aren't all bad?!! Has anyone had any good experiences with them recently?

Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

We've travelled 3 times with Monarch - the most delay we've had was 2 gours - planes seem comfortable, food that's provided is adequate. On the way to Kenya you'll be travelling at night-time, so hopefully you can get some sleep. Enjoy Kenya, a truly magnificent country with some of the friendliest people in the world.

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

Ah well thats reassuring! Anyone else?

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
286 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

I agree with davejenny.

Swindon England
Level Contributor
289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

We have travelled to Kenya with Thomson and Thomas Cook. I do not enjoy TUI Airlines (Britania or Thomson) their "duty free" drinks cost far too much. I resent being ripped off where a Gin minature costs more than a bottle at the airport. Plus last year the service on flight to Sri Lanka was awful.

Monarch are at least British cheap and cheerful and were the carrier for our Thomas Cook holiday.Their flights tend to have friendly staff even if there is no leg room in standard class they at least make an effort and their meals are O.K. for airline food.

Our last Monarch flights 2007 were pretty good to and from Kenya.

Last October Thomas Cook return from Cuba was worst ever no lights, no TV, poor food, no reply to my complaint letter.

So for long haul charter flights Monarch are better than TUI (THOMSON AND 1ST CHOICE)and Thomas Cook.

Can't wait back to Kenya 18 May 2009.

Dariusdave

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

I've used TUI & Monarch flights and have to say I did much prefer the First Choice and Thomson flights.

So the drinks may be cheaper on Monarch, but on TUI planes you get much more legroom, and comfort is important to me on a 9-10 hour flight.

swansea,wales
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

hi gazelle me and my girlfriend flew to kenya with monarch on 8th of dec and returned on the 23rd. i have flown with many airlines including monarch to cuba.our flight to kenya was fine,the stewards were polite,food ok as inflight meals go and legroom ok as well.only problem was queueing for the visa but overall the flight was fine. no turbulence and a great view of kilimanjaro as we were descending to mombasa.hope you have a great holiday.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

Haven't travelled with Monarch to Kenya, but we will be doing so in March. But we went to The Gambia last year with Monarch, and it was fine, clean plane, good staff, food adequate. I wouldn't worry and you can get delays with any airline.

Angie

8. Re: Any good reviews of Monarch?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 03:18