We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird Watching Tiwi River

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Bird Watching Tiwi River

Hi we are both very interested in bird watching and have heard that it is good on Tiwi River. Has anyone been, and can you get organised boat trips up the river?

Angie

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

Hi

I'm afraid that I don't know about the Tiwi River but I do know that a lot of bird watchers visit Pinewood Village as the variety and numbers of birds around there is fantastic. I'm no expert but there is everything from eagles, hornbills to loads of other species. Look up their website. It gives you a list of all the birds that can be seen around there. Not only is the bird watching good, there is some of the very little remaining forest around the hotel so colobus and other monkeys and wildlife are also very abundant. Read the reviews of the hotel as well. It is a fabulous place & I'm going back for my 4th visit next week.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

Hi

I'm afraid that I don't know about the Tiwi River but I do know that a lot of bird watchers visit Pinewood Village as the variety and numbers of birds around there is fantastic. I'm no expert but there is everything from eagles, hornbills to loads of other species. Look up their website. It gives you a list of all the birds that can be seen around there. Not only is the bird watching good, there is some of the very little remaining forest around the hotel so colobus and other monkeys and wildlife are also very abundant. Read the reviews of the hotel as well. It is a fabulous place & I'm going back for my 4th visit next week.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

Thanks AnnaRD very pleased to hear of the birdlife around Pinewood, and we are also quite keen to take a river trip, does anyone else know anything about Tiwi River?

Angie

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

are there any birders out there, any info would be so appreciated.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

One of the top birding locations has to be the mida creek up at watamu, lots of wading birds, seen flamingos there, also there a boardwalk thing which is like a kenyan suspension bridge, it leads to a prominant area of mida creek and the best part is that there is a proper bird hide there !

We met an english guy there last year who was so excited ! I asked him why, he was watching about 150 crab plovers through a scope, he said he could not wait to email his bird friends in the uk as he'd never seen soo many in one location, if you get chance take a visit

a few pics taken at the creek

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

Thanks Smudger it looks lovely, but I think Watamu may be a little too far from Pinewood Village, maybe next time we will stay in the north.

Angie

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

Your welcome, I had no intrest whatsover in birds before I went there, I,ve ended up buying books on east african birds and some decent binoculars and Im hooked now ! even when I,m sunbathing on the beach I have my trusty fav bird book and I now find great pleasure in trying to identify birds.

It is a long way but if you get chance, make a visit.

My favs are the fish eagles and ospreys which I watch from my sunbed every year

flickr.com/photos/…

My wife loves the golden weaver birds, I,m not so keen as they are noisy and wake me up every morning !

flickr.com/photos/…

I even hurt my neck last year, trying to get a shot of the amazing swallows, they are just too damn quick !

8. Re: Bird Watching Tiwi River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:19