We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

DEVON
Level Contributor
80 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

I would like to take my good lady away next year for her 50th birthday she has always fancied a safari,i want to do a two part holiday safari and hotel.I have found a good hotel (lots of research done.) but what i can not find is a good 4 or 5 night safari where you stay at one lodge only and you have a very good chance of seeing a lot of wild life. It must be very clean with good food and facilities.Can any one recomend a good park for us from your experience.

Thank you in advance,Chopper.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

Which hotel have you chosen Chopper ? then we can point you in the right direction of a good local safari outfit to use and what time of year would you be travelling ?

If you are thinking of 4-5 days on safari I would maybe think of not spending them all at one lodge/camp but that is your choice, at the end of the day, its good to see different areas of Kenya.

4-5 days in the masai mara would not be too much though

kenya
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

Hey Chopper,

I am proposing keekorok lodge for you. it is located almost at the middle of masai mara thus giving you the opportunity of game viewing in most of the park without making long drives.

Alternatively you can go to Mara sarova for two nights and mara serena for another two nights. Drive between the two facilities is easy.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

We have had our best times in the mara, at governors, intrepids and a place called mara safari club, lots of other good lodges/camps as well.

If I had to choose my fav it would be the mara safari club, it gave us good value for money at the time and we had a fantastic view of the mara river there, governors is superb but more expensive (its where the "big cat diary is filmed") and intrepids is great as well, you have a difficult choice ! and thats only the mara, Tsavo east/west is also superb but more difficult to spot animals, if I was choosing one area it would be the masai mara.

Our fav lodges in Tsavo east/west are Galdessa (east) and Kilaguni (west)

DEVON
Level Contributor
80 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

The hotel i have chosen is Pinewood village beach resort in Ukunda and i will be going in May/June. The reason for wanting only one lodge is due to a heart attack in 2004 i get tired very quick so the extra traveling would really affect me but if i was in one lodge the only traveling i would be doing is the safari's and i should be able to cope with that.I would like to take her to the masai mara as she has often talked about this area.

If i was to go to 2 or 3 different lodges would the distances between them be very far and do you continue driving to them at the end of your safari instead of going back to the lodge you stayed in the night befor?

Sorry to ask these questions which must seem silly to you but i have not got any idea on how a safari holiday is run.Any information gratefully accepted.

Thanks again.Chopper

Long Islander
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

For specific lodges, your best bet is listening to the experts like Smudger and some of the others who have been there many times. As far as multiple lodges, you spend time at one and then put your luggage in the vehicle and check in at the other, and leave from there back to town. Without being too specific you might want to stay on the east (i.e. Sopa, Sarova Tented Camp, Keekorook), and then travel west to a lodge on or near the Mara River (Crossings), i.e., Serena or one of the Governors). The time in between camps should be game drives.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

Once settled at the beach, you can arrange to do safari in the Mara, by short 1.5/hr flight.

This would be fly-in and once at lodge or camp they will provide guides/vehicles for game drives. It's certainly fine to stay at one lodge entire time. But with 5/days in May/June you can consider visiting 2/properties, 1/lodge and 1/camp - maybe 2:3 or 3:2. Transfer between properties will be game drive by road and for which you will pay a "transfer fee." Once you've concluded in the Mara, you'd fly back to the coast.

Or simply start with safari first (arriving NBO)... May is at low-season rates, while as June 1, go into mid-season prices. Then when finished here, fly out to the coast for R&R.

7. Re: Good 4 or 5 day safari lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 01:19