We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti-malarials help and advice please

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Anti-malarials help and advice please

My husband had a bad reaction to Malarone last year, and the doctor has recommended chloroquine/proguanil which is only 70% protection. However, the chemist recommends doxycycline, but the side effects seem worse than malarone. Has anyone used doxycycline and experienced any bad reaction, eg. sickness or sensitivity to sunlight. We are keen to be fully protected, but because of his bad reaction last year he ended up taking nothing (he had bad swelling of the eyes and face) . Any comments would be appreciated.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti-malarials help and advice please

Hi, I've used Doxycycline with no probs, the cover is good, and as a bonus there is protection against other things that are easy to pick up in tropical climes like infections of eyes, ears, plus serious things like tick typhus, relapsing fever, plague, Lyme disease, and leptospirosis,etc., only down side is that it has to be taken every day. A couple of missed doses can seriously reduce cover, but on the other hand you dont need to take until a couple of days before departure. The side effects you describe are possible, but I had none, Larium left me unable to look up without diziness for months.

Ivan

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti-malarials help and advice please

... and doxy has to be taken for almost 1/month after leaving Kenya. And, of course, possible sun sensitivity.

Other side effect of doxy, though won't impact hubby - women can be ripe for a case of Thrush (discharge), so if you can go with Malarone, do so and let him use the doxy.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti-malarials help and advice please

We have a lot of visitors who use doxycycline. I have Doctor friends (from USA) in Nairobi who use it (family of six) and recommend it. They are all fair skinned. They recommend taking it with the evening meal. This means it is most effective when mossies are active and is wearing off when sun is highest!

You should avoid taking it with milk.

Only one of our many visitors has had any reaction - she blamed her sickness on doxycycline, but it was not confirmed. Larium has given a number of people bad dreams!

I have had no problem myself with doxycycline. It has one BIG advantage - price!! It costs 3/- per capsule here in Western Kenya. You may have to pay 5/- in a big chemist in Nairobi, but whatever the few shillings, it is much cheaper than Malarone!!

Do a search through the Forum. Agyhill's website has a lot of very useful information about malaria prophylaxis.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti-malarials help and advice please

Thank you all for your comprehensive and reassuring advice, hubby has now gone for the Doxy and I am on Malarone. We are off in 10 days - thanks to all on TA who responded to my posts - the help given has been invaluable.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anti-malarials help and advice please

Men don't get thrush? Sorry but they do. They usually just have less irritating symptoms and it's easier to treat being external!

6. Re: Anti-malarials help and advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 02:19