We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to debate!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Something to debate!

This will probably spark off a debate as a similar remark did in the past. Not entirely related to Kenya, but all air travel....

Budget airline Ryanair considers 'fat tax' for overweight passengers

dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1172536/Ryana…

And don't forget they want to charge you to use the lav!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to debate!

They aren't the only ones

guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/16/united-airl…

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to debate!

Thank god for Weight Watchers ... no excess charges for me !!!

Thank god for Incontinence pads - can you imagine all the wet seats!!!!

Thank God I don`t smoke - the " suggested" smokers cubicle will be like a choking fog !!!

and can you imagine the stench of "your own food?"

Fish & chips - Bacon & eggs - and someone sat beside you munching one of those stinking Pepper ah my thingys and as for Pasties! on a plane? they stink like B.O. aaagh !!!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to debate!

I think its a good idea having been overweight myself and losing 3 stone I think I can comment on the above!!!

Why should you have to pay extra luggage allowence but not extra weight allowence for body weight? You are making the plane heavier, using more fuel etc.

Luggage allowence is getting smaller and smaller, is it because the planes can't cope with the extra added body weight caused but over weight people?!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to debate!

Maybe there should be a choice when you book - either a weight allowance in body weight or in luggage allowance??? lol You could narrow it down even further by height - shorties less seat pitch and taller people a supplement for longer seat pitch ??? What about people wearing catheters? They wouldn't need the lav so cheaper prices for them? Sorry, tongue in cheek here!

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to debate!

Can't wait till ryanair start doing longhaul - 15 hours of intake & waste could cost more than the fare!

EK have just announced a new baggage allowance of 30kg for Economy, 40kg for Business and 50kg for First. Maybe the hope is that lugging the heavier bags around will reduce the passengers weight.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to debate!

Maybe they could have someone at the check in desk offering catheterisation for the passangers not wanting to use the lav!!!

I did read the funniest suggestion, having an aeroplane chair at check in having all the fat people line up and sit in it, if they spill over it or looks tight they have to pay the extra charge!!

Why not just put bigger seats on planes, if people require these extra seats (can't fit into normal seats) they have to pay a supplement for larger seat?

Or weigh luggage and person together. I know there are issues with BMI for people such as rugby players etc, but maybe when booking they have to have a letter from Dr to prove they are not fat. It would certainly give people an incentive to lose weight.

then the government can stop throwing money at this pertinent public health issue.

It would also boost the uk economy and tourism as people would have to holiday at home because they can't afford the extra charges. Or are not allowed to fly.

Just my tuppence worth!!

London
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Something to debate!

Ultimately flying with an airline is like any other product. It's standardised and packaged to cater to the masses. Sometimes you pay for more then you use, others you use it all. Our society wouldn't really function if we always wanted everything tailored to exactly what we need in that one instance.

The problem in this case is, you could pay for your seat, but be sharing it with your neighbour who's spilled over. Not many instances in which this would be tolerated. And as we get fatter (western world) it's only going to get worse. Sooner or later the airlines will have to address this. Either change the seat sizes to accomodate the changing physical attributes of their customers.

Or split the product so that each product caters for the appropraite demographic. Wether that means some people have to pay for a bigger seat or pay for two seats is upto the airlines.

After all, you wouldn't accept going into McDonalds and being told you have to give someone else a bite of your burger because the one they have paid for isn't sufficient. May sound silly, but I'd much rather do that then spend several hours sharing an already small seat with someone else.

P.S Yes I am a frequest long haul traveller.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Something to debate!

Surprised they (the airlines) didn't think of this years ago.

All the fuss made over baggage allowance.

Why should a normal healthy person have to suffer by having a gut bucket sitting next to them?

Bring it on.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Something to debate!

Thank God I’m an atheist, or I’d have thought my prayers had been answered!

Come-on Ryan Air start flying from Manchester to Mombasa and if some of the passengers are larger than two seats please consider my recommendation of strapping them onto pallets and placing them (gently) in the hold.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Something to debate!

i think this a brilliant idea...

they should give an over-all weight limit that includes body and baggage!that way ill be able to do loads more shopping lol