We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickening

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sickening

Poacher is shot for killing rhino

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html

A poacher has been shot dead after he was caught removing a horn from a black rhino

Last week, four elephants were shot dead by poachers.

Poaching was on the increase and that in the past year 38 elephants had been killed and their tusks removed.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sickening

I know I shouldn't say this, and I'm sorry for saying it, but good. I know the reasons behind why the poachers do what they do (you only have to look at Maslow's "Hierarchy Of Needs" to figure that one out) but it still doesn't stop one feeling an irrational hatred towards them.

Kuki and her daughter do absolutely marvellous work and I know that she will be heartbroken by this. The downturn in tourism has also contributed towards the increase in poaching. Anti-poaching units here (as in other countries) are fighting a losing battle. It's very sad.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sickening

I agree and I also think that the people who buy these "trophies" - for whatever reason - should be punished as severely as the poachers.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sickening

While Ivory may become trophies, rhino horn is most commonly ground into powder to me used in folk medicines in the far East. Unfortunately stopping the use of any kind of folk medicine use is nearly impossible.

KWS is painfully under staffed, underfunded, and under trained for armed combat with these gangs of poachers. I fear the problem will grow worse before the government does anything to help stop it.

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sickening

Perhaps with the increased gate fee's this year, they could channel some more money into anti poaching ?

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sickening

Excellent idea!

Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sickening

Very sad indeed:( Cant helpbut wonder when poaching will ever totally end?

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sickening

Just another example of why I prefer animals!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sickening

With you on that one.

Scotland
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sickening

So am I. The older I get the more I prefer animals to people which is a sad reflection on the human race.

My husband and I are passionate supporters of the Born Free Foundation whose motto is "Keep Wildlife in the Wild". To quote from their website the new elephant house in Copenhagen Zoo cost £23 million, the cost of the new "Elephant Odyssey" at San Diego zoo (2.5 acres) cost £30million, the operating budget of the whole Kenya Wildlife Service is approximately £20 million. Maybe if more money was put in to protecting animals in their natural habitat instead of transporting them to a life of encarceration and misery in zoos poaching would be almost eradicated.

I also agree with MinMcLeod the people who buy these things deserve every bit as harsh a punishment as the poachers. Sadly sometimes the poachers are just victims of their circumstances and environment.

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sickening

poppyr – very good point

Zoos – I am undecided – they are not all bad (if done well)

Without being too simplistic & at the risk of making myself very unpopular – gulf war 1 & 2, Falklands, eurofighter, mp’s expenses, funding religion (which world wide is the main problem) etc etc etc we could probably have cured cancer, world poverty & poaching!

We let the planet down again & again & again.