We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will 3 hours be enough??

Enschede, The...
5 posts
Save Topic
Will 3 hours be enough??

Hey all,

We're planning our first visit to Kenya this July from the 11th till the 27th and I would need a bit of a help from more experienced travelers.

As scheduled we will arrive to Nairobi on the 12th at 14:50.

My question would be whether it is safe to book a connection flight to Mombasa with Kenya airways which starts at 18:00 or should I go for the one at 22:30?

I have no clue how long the visa and baggage issues can take but I would be happy to hear that 3 hours will be enough as then we could spend an evening more in Mombasa. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Emese

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

I have travelled by Kenya airways many times and the flight connection only had slightly over 2 hours. To date I have always made it. Other travellers will add their experiences I am sure. If your flight were late/delayed it could be a rush, personally from UK with the airline I use I do feel secure.

Enschede, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Thanks for the reply.

We will fly with Emirates to Nairobi. This is the first time we use this airline so I don't know what to expect from them.

kenya
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Hey,

Emirates do not have a bad record in terms of delay. You have an advantage of arriving at 1450hrs, at this time the airport is not very busy with arrivals so your visa will be dealt with in time.

Karibu (welcome to) Kenya.

Chaterer

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Never any guarantee, but my Emirates flight was on time. It was also a very nice flight, new planes, great interiors and entertainment features, efficient crew and decent meals (coach).

3/hrs should be sufficient time to clear Immigration, gather bags (if they're not thru tagged to MOM), and board the ongoing flight.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Hi,

I usually have around 2 hours between flights and have always made the connection. Even if your bags are tagged through to Mombasa you will still have to collect them at Nairobi as that is the custom point. Your check in for the Mombasa flight will be slightly quicker if the bags are tagged through. You will have to change terminals, you will see the Domestic terminal directly in front of you across the car park. You and your bags need to go through the scanner then the KQ check in desk is right by it.

Enschede, The...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Chaterer, 4sandi and Doffcocker thanks for all of you, you helped a lot!!

I'll book the earlier flight then and I hope Emirates will be in time. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

another comment -- keep in mind baggage allowance difference between Emirates and Kenya Airways (KQ). On that flight to Mombasa on KQ you are give 1 piece at 20 kg per passenger for free. Airline will charge you for excess.. not sure what you will have on the Emirates flight, but I assume it is more than that.

finally, KQ is accommodating so unless the flight is full (this is rare), they'll rebook you on a later flight, so book the earliest you think is feasible -- 3 hours should be more than enough-- but if you don't make it, you can go on a later flight.

Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Travelled with Emirates to Mauritius via Dubai last year and checked bags straight through from Manchester. They were labelled with Quick Transfer tags and although we ended up with less than 2 hours transfer time in Dubai as our flight was slightly delayed our bags made the flights - no problem.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

"Thanks for the reply.

We will fly with Emirates to Nairobi. This is the first time we use this airline so I don't know what to expect from them."

I fly almost everywhere with EK and rate them very highly. Their rewards scheme is also very good. The service you will be arriving on is rarely delayed in my experience (and I'm either on that flight or meeting it once and twice per month). I would go for the 1800 connection.

Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will 3 hours be enough??

Three hours should be plenty of time!

As you've been told, if you miss the connection, you'll be put on the later one, but that is very unlikely.

It is only a few hundred metres from International arrivals to the Domestic terminal. When you come out of the Arrivals hall, turn left, cross the car park, over the road (one-way street, so look left!!) and into Domestic.