We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

devon england
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

I am getting very mixed messages about whether or not we need YF jabs, I know that you need them if you come from a country which has YF, but obviously UK doesn't. does anyone have any strong feelings about this one???!!! I just feel that i am being filled up with chemicals at the moment and this is just one more to add to the mix

we are going to a Diani beach resort and 2 days safari.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

Not compulsory unless you are crossing a border (i.e. TZ, Uganda etc). I feel the same way as you about filling oneself up with unnecessary chemicals. Lots of threads on here about the YF injection if you search "yellow fever" but here's the most recent one:

tripadvisor.com/…18557512

HTH,

FL410

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

Hi Alex

Even if any vaccination is "recommended" and not compulsory, the problems arise if you were to contract the desease and you make a claim on your travel insurance, which could amount to thousands of pounds.

They will use any excuse to get out of paying out and will state that you did not take reasonable precautions beforehand by not having the recommended vaccinations.

Is this risk worth taking? Your health comes first!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

Coming from western countries direct (even if passing thru Europe) - US, UK, Canada, others - YF is recommended, but not compulsory. Nor is this jab required for re-entry to theese countries.

Unless traveling during same trip of soon after to other African countries as: Tanzania, Zanzibar, Uganda, South Africa, other, where proof of YF required for entry... if you don't want the jab, don't have it.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

Hi, here is a post I made earlier. The simple facts.

"As stated, YF is not mandatory if arriving from UK.

There hasn’t been a REPORTED case of yellow fever in Kenya since 1996, BUT 85% of cases have mild flu/malaria like symptoms, which clears up in a few days, so is most unlikely be reported as YF. These cases then have immunity from the disease.

However, after a few days of remission, 15% of cases develop into a far more serious stage 2 of the disease, which has a 50% fatality rate. THERE IS NO CURE, Only palliative care for those who develop stage 2. So, the only sensible answer is HAVE THE JAB, be done with it; the cover is for 10yrs, which may be increased to life. You need to get the jab at least 10 days before travel to make it acceptable, preferably a little more to give time for any effects to wear off.

So it’s up to you. The only caveat is if you are allergic to eggs you should NOT have the jab. Also is not recommended for over 65s."

As suggested, your insurance may well be invalidated; insurance companies are notorious for finding reasons for not paying out.

Ivan

LEICESTER
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

had ours today.we had strong feelings about having it but after a chat about it to the doctor he convinced us its best to have it.he allso told us if we did not have it we might as well travel without insurance because the insurance would be invalid because yf is highly reccomended.hope this helps.

6. Re: do i really need yellow fever vaccination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 07:41