We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Excitement taking hold now, have to start taking the Malarone on Saturday before we fly out on Monday!! Hubby and I have both read the leaflet but feel we would benefit from other's experience and advice!

From expereince, is there a best way to take them (I know you have to take them orally!) and is there a best time of day?

Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Hi, extract from

http://www.travelinghealthy.com/ch7.htm

""Side Effects: To date, atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone) has an enviable safety record, with no reports of serious adverse side effects. A recent large-scale trial in travelers from industrialized countries to malarious areas showed that only 1% of users of the drug discontinued it because of side effects—compared with 5% of those using mefloquine (Lariam).

Most complaints include stomach upset, skin rash, mouth ulcers, dizziness, and insomnia in up to 20% of users. Tablets should be taken with food or a milky drink at the same time each day. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour after dosing, a repeat dose should be taken. Atovaquone/proguanil is contraindicated during pregnancy and should not be used by those with severe kidney disease.""

Ivan

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

I always take them at breakfast as it's recommended that you have something in your stomach. Unlike others on this forum, I have never had a problem with them and have taken malarone for over 18 months which is not currently advised by at least the US, but I didn't have an issue... all the other preventative choices make me ill.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Whatever malaria med, these have to be taken with food.

For Malarone, I too take at breakfast when it's most likely to find dairy products - milk, yogurt, cottage cheese. Never had any problems.

Some people take with dinner meal with the hope that if they have tummy upset or other reactions, they'll sleep thru.

Everyone is different, so follow the instructions provided and the details listed by poster above.

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

tablet water , water tablet, pop in mouth drink swallow , done haha

take mine at night with dinner , no side effects either

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Malarone for me - five years taking them no problems whatsoever 4 x per year with breakfast to include one piece of cheese- - not the manky stuff in the hotel but a nice piece of Highland cheddar or Dolcelata from the cheese shop in Ratna`s ... lol !!!!!!!!!

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Hi,

I used to take the Malorone in the morning, however, found that when travelling/diving I would become travel/sea sick. Swapped to evenings after a meal and no more travel/sea sickness. It may be worth considering if going on safari.

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
759 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

During four safaris we took Malarone each time with no side effects. Always took as part of breakfast.

Dick

Birmingham
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

Thank you everyone for your advice! Just 84 hours until flight time (excited? Me?? What gives you that idea??) x

9. Re: Tips for taking Malarone .please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:19