We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many Kenyan shillings ?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How many Kenyan shillings ?

Can you take into Kenya ? Our travel agent says 200 shillings each and as much foreign currency as you want.

Oh, and you can't take ANY Kenyan money out of the country ?

Help please , just need it confirming before we decide what to take !!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

200ksh EACH?????? blimey I am in trouble !!!

You can take in as much as you want ... but I would change your money in Kenya -more shillings to the pound - euro or dollar // you really only need a couple of shillings for a tip to the porters on arrival ..

Remaining kenyan currency should be converted back to stirling [ or other country currency] before departing.... ....thats what the legal jargon says ....

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,212 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

I never change ksh back to sterling on the basis that I will be back (not that I take out very much as I use ATM's here in the same way I use them in the UK. I've never been asked how many shillings I've got on departure

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

Thats what we thought when we looked on the web sites but our travel agent made sure to tell me twice about it so we were a bit puzzled and I'd never seen it mentioned on TA.

Thanks guys :)

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

When we first went to Kenya about 18 years ago it was illegal to take kenyan shillings out of the country. However you can take it in and like Doffcocker I don't bother to change mine back as I know I will be returning to Kenya again. Customs have seen it when they searched my bag and purse... No problems with it.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

You are allowed to take any amount under 500,000 KSh out of Kenya. Any amount above this has to have written authorisation from the central bank.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Bungoma, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

Whoever told you that is over 30 years out of date!! In the 70's it was 400/-

Nowadays, nobody even checks.....

7. Re: How many Kenyan shillings ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 05:16