We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage help

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage help

(Please excuse if this sounds naive!) We are going on safari in 15 days time for our honeymoon. We fly to Nairobi, spend a day there, then go on safari staying at 4 lodges over 6 nights, then fly to Mombasa. All the information we can find says you have to take a small holdall on the safari, not suitcases. My query is do we take a full size holdall for the full 2weeks luggage or if not what are we expected to do?! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage help

Hi

This advice (re soft bags) is usually because a lot of safari's start from Mombasa. Hence, you're usually planted at your hotel and from there you'd take a smaller bag on safari because of the weight limits and room on the bus.

However, I've found myself in your position where I've gone straight onto safari so my suitcases came on the trip with me. It would be different if you were returning to Nairobi, then you could possibly leave some of your kit there an pick it up on return.

Don't worry too much but I would recommend you look into the weight allowances for your flight FROM safari TO Mombasa (the internal flights are on smaller planes).

Hope this helps. Min x

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage help

What usually happens is you take a safari size bag with enough for the safari. Your main suitcase is put in "storage" either at the tour operators offices or at the hotel where you had spent your first night. Best to check with either your travel company or safari tour company.

Nairobi
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage help

You should ask the tour operator handling your safari am sure he'll give you better advice. He would tell you what kind of vehicle you'll be using and what space will be reserved for your luggage.

Anyways its not advisable to carry lotsa luggage, most hotels and lodges offer laundry services.

It doesn't sound naive, shows you know where to find quick answers... tripadvisor ofcos.

4. Re: Luggage help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 07:24