We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for your driver/guide

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for your driver/guide

I've seen lots of posts on here re: hotel and safari accommodation, but nobody mentions where the driver of their safari bus sleeps at night.

Do all the lodges/camps have proper rooms for them or do they have to sleep on the bus?

I was shocked to find, on a tour in India, that the driver, tour guide and helper all had to sleep in the sweltering bus, whereas we had pretty comfortable accommodation with air-con. Yet the next day they turned up looking and smelling freshly laundered and showered. How do they do this?

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

Most of the lodges/camps have drivers' quarters which their safari company books them into. They get a bed and communal shower plus food in the lodge/camp dining room.

If there isn't any drivers quarters they go into the nearest town/village and find a bed.

Should they want to pocket the allowance, they have been known to sleep in the bus.

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

Yes they have special quarters for the drivers and guides; they don’t stay in the lodges with the rest of us.

A bit like Norman Bates in Psycho actually!

I bet they have a “Whale of a Time” discussing our idiosyncrasies and petty likes and dislikes. I can picture them laughing their heads off in their own quarters and doubt if they’d like to spend their evenings with the rest of us.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

silversurf if you can push the boat out book a room for your driver when we went to shimba hills our driver john had his own room and ate in the resteraunt with us the tales he had to tell us during the evening were to say the least spellbinding skipman

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

Hi,

well it is different. Some accomodations are offering good surroundings for drivers, some not. I am not sure how it is now, but in the past i know from Sopa, that they have not been so good to the drivers. Serena is also mostly welcome by most of the drivers.

Comparing Kenya to Tanzania, they drivers in Kenya were/treaten much more better than in Tanzania. Often in Tanzania they don`t have water in their accomodation for a shower.

Most accomodations allow the drivers to have a drink with you, especially during tea time you will meet them there. Also some are having seperate tables in the restaurant and the drivers have the choice if they want to eat there or in a special part with the others. Sometimes it is also possible, that they have their meals with you.

It really depends on the accomodation itself. If this is important for you, try to find out, how the accomodations you want to stay are known for treating the drivers. That should be no problem. Usually we are having an eye of this because we like to have our drivers also a good time.

Also often the drivers have friends under them and are happy if they met themselves in certain accomodations. So it is usual, that they spend this time with them.

Bye

Chrissy

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

With few exceptions, the lodges and even larger tented camps, have quarters for the guides. Part of the daily fee you pay for guide/vehicle includes their sleeping arrangements and meals.

Most are on site at the property you're visiting, though some might be at local village or down the road a bit.

After a full and very busy day, most guides are pleased to have a place to retreat, relax, have a meal, joke with friends (talk about their clients... they sure do) and shower before the next day.

A few properties are fne with guides taking meals (usually dinner) with their clients; others discourage this, yet you can prearrange on booking your safari or before a meal at particular lodge/camp for guide meals and have them join you.

On a "camping" safari, the guide and cook have much the same accommodations as the client - tents, shower, share the same meals, etc. It's all included in your price.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

Quite a few lodges and camps have a set price list for meals, drinks and accommodation for visiting drivers and guides. Every property owner is different, but the sort of price they pay is around Ksh100–200 for meals, and Ksh200 for a bed, usually in a shared room. Sometimes this is paid for directly by their company, and sometimes they have to cover it themselves from their daily allowance.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

I have always asked our drivers what the accomodation and food is like for them and so far the answer has been positive. Some of course are better than others, I often give some shillings for a soda, especially if it has been a particularly long, hot drive or we found a spectacular sighting. Biscuits and some sweets on the bus are appreciated by them. They chat a lot, keeping us informed and with the dust it can help to have a sweet to suck.

bucks
Level Contributor
431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

we always ask the driver to come and eat with us or at the very least buy them a warm beer or 2.....

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

It amazed me when we did a 9 day safari and had lunch at the Carnivore Nairobi, we insisted when we booked that Edward would join us for our meal. It was the first time he had ever eaten there and he loved it. Often the drivers do like to sit and eat with the other drivers, some times they haven't met for several weeks and catch up on news, events and the days sightings. We do ask them and it is always a delight and as Skipman says their stories are entertaining.

Kenya
Level Contributor
191 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation for your driver/guide

....''Should they want to pocket the allowance, they have been known to sleep in the bus.

Reply to this post''.. Tembofan! you cracked me up right there!! I can only imagine.

Anyway, most lodges treat drivers quite well and offer them food and accommodation,so no need to worry about them.