We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I,m liking this idea !

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I,m liking this idea !

Just found this very intresting article

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8166196.stm

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I,m liking this idea !

What a good business opportunity for someone with a bike. Excellent idea. We naively gave a Maasai friend a mobile only to learn that he was walking 2 hours each way to get his phone charged. Our next present was a solar charger to save his poor legs!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I,m liking this idea !

These 2 guys are really onto something here ! I hope they do well out of it

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I,m liking this idea !

Hi Smudger

Looks like a great invention, amazed when I read "In Kenya, bicycles are sold with a dynamo to be attached to the back wheel to power the lights', what lights drove in last Friday morning at 5.30am from Vipingo to the Airport and was a nervous wreck when we reached the airport as none of the bicycles had a light, a reflector or the cyclist wearing anything but black, don't know how they survive on the roads and all for the cost of a light and a Hi-Vis vest, maybe start a new craze bringing these to Mombasa instead of my usual low energy bulbs and sewing kits!!!

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I,m liking this idea !

Not just bikes! The matatus and taxis drive without lights cos "it saves their batteries".

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I,m liking this idea !

don't know how they survive on the roads and all for the cost of a light and a Hi-Vis vest,

1. Sadly, they don't

2. The cost of a light and a Hi-Viz vest is way more than the monthly (and yearly, in some cases) earnings of most of the owners of these bikes.

Your "all for the cost" statement is applying First World standards to a Third World country. It doesn't work. Life is worth nothing here. You only have to read the Nation or Standard every day to see the death toll on our roads. Most recently - 22 dead in a head-on collision on the road from Narok to Maai Maiu :-(

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I,m liking this idea !

Now I realise what Norman Tebbitt meant all those years ago when he told us "to get on our bikes".

Maybe he had foresight after all.

Good luck to them.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,328 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I,m liking this idea !

These guys were on KTN Leo tonight, quite a big feature. The death toll from the bus crash is now 26, 4 died overnight. See a matatu crash virtually every day. Saw a brand new Nissan Patrol written off outside Nakumatt around 5 this afternoon. Thing i can't understand is why cyclists ride on the road here instead of the sandy strip at the side. Less effort i suppose but far more dangerous. This is a first, posting by phone from my local but its quiet only just after 9 - wonder if it will work

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I,m liking this idea !

I feel I must add this to the post:

Sadly yesterday I reiceved an phone call from a very distressed Irene to say her wonderful Safari driver Isaak had been killed in a road accident near Nairobi, this was a dreadful part of the road and sadly it has claimed another victim !!! May he rest in Peace ♥

milton keynes
Level Contributor
807 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I,m liking this idea !

Dreadfully sad to hear of yet another road victim. Going back a few posts to Hi-Viz vets, I got a few from my local market and took to give to staff at hotel who cycled to work. Light to pack and only cost a couple of quid each. I explained why I was buying them and got a discount.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I,m liking this idea !

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is a hi-viz vest? This is a new one to me - in rural Kenya!! Would it help our piki piki (motor bike) riders?