We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

A bit stricter in Kenya than the U.K.

By Paul Gitau and Wahome Thuku

"Two people have been sentenced to death by a Malindi court for violently robbing a fisherman of a packet of cigarettes and Sh40.

Malindi Principal Magistrate Dominica Nyambu sentenced Haidari Ahmed Shaibu and Ali Kassim to death after they were found guilty of the offence.

They were charged that on the night of February 24, last year, at Buntwani beach in Malindi District, jointly with two others not before the court, they violently robbed Hussein Bahhassan of one packet of Safari Blue cigarettes and Sh40.

Chief Inspector Dennis Onyango, who was representing the State counsel, informed the court the suspects accosted and attacked Bahhassan at the beach on his way to fish.

Mr Onyango said the four-demanded money from the victim".

Full Story: www.standardmedia.co.ke/news/InsidePage.php…

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

With a bit of luck it might take off in this country (England)- first offenders only of course!

Cambridge
Level Contributor
344 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

Wow - I wonder what the sentence would be for corruption? - Two weeks 5 star hotel on the beach?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

Probably, since it's the morally, ethically and financially corrupt that own these places.

Whatever one's view on the death penalty, these thugs knew that it was a potential sentence when they committed their crime, yet they still chose to do so.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,396 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

Although an average of 750 people are given the death penalty every year, there have been no executions since 1987. Presumably, originally because they were going to be executed the law doesn't allow Prisoners sentenced to death to work whilst in prison. That's a lot of prisoners doing nothing.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

Unfortunately, it's the kind of almost laughably disproportionate sentence that makes a mockery of Kenyan justice. Imagine what the sentence might have been if two tourist kids had done the same thing.

Chances are they'll languish in jail for a decade, contributing nothing to Kenya's development, or to the maintenance of their own families, before being released on some equally specious decision by the president of the day, or because it's the mayor of Malindi's silver wedding anniversary.

Truly pathetic.

Let's all pray to our own gods for a day when Kenyans don't have to wake up to such nonsense.

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

no lets hope death penalty means what it says and they are despatched quickly , then maybe these kind of people will get the message

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

"Unfortunately, it's the kind of almost laughably disproportionate sentence that makes a mockery of Kenyan justice."

I guess you have to understand how the "justice" system works here to understand why they were given the death sentence in the first place. Like most sentences of this nature (i.e. those where excessive violence is used) the death sentence is pronounced in order that it can be commuted to life - thereby keeping undesirables incarcerated for life. If they are sentenced to Life in the first place, they will invariably serve 10 years or less, and then be out.

Many of the judges here are actually very educated, wise and intelligent people, in my experience - they just have to work with a system that is poor and inadequate (not dissimilar to the UK's justice system, from what I understand).

While I admire your sentiments on Kenyans not having to wake up to "nonsense", I don't believe that will ever happen. At least, not in our lifetime.

uk
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

its the victims that suffer and not the criminals, maybe if they think about that then justice may be done

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

Hi, from what I understand about African prisons, a life sentence is as good as a death sentence. I don’t think anyone dies from old age in an African prison. The conditions are unbelievably harsh, food is poor, and disease is rife. Hard labour is still used, mistreatment is common.

There is no comparison with the cushy lifestyle enjoyed in "first world" prisons.

Ivan

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two sentenced to death for stealing Sh40

And it only took 9 replies before the criminals became the victims. Whatever the conditions in any prison anywhere, the criminal is still the criminal and deserves whatever they get if they commit the crime, especially if it involves violence as is apparently the case here.

The Kenyan judicial system may have it's issues, but these scum are should give thanks every day they did not commit this crime under sharia law where at the least they would have lost a hand if not been stoned to death.