We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Of course, MM is #1--but in what order would you rate 3 or 4 others in terms of animals and/or scenery?? I am having a hard time getting my priorities straight to make a good decision on the best places to visit next August.

We have been to Africa several times but never to Kenya.

I would appreciate ANY suggestons.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Our personal fav is Tsavo east ! harder to spot game BUT more rewarding ! we find the mara is too commercialized now

London
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

I would echo Tsavo East.

No Rhinos, but everything else.

And if you can get over the river beyond Kulalu, anything is possible.

Best of all, no pirelli spoor!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Amboseli (views are fab and huge amount of ellies)

Tsavo East/West (love the scenery and animals, lots of lush woods and trees)

Samburu (really nice place, peaceful)

M Mara (lots of tourists)

Min xx

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Kakemega Forest - fantastic birdlife, primates, reptiles

Saiwa Swamp - walk around on wooden boardwalks, watching birds and climb Tarzan-style lookout towers to see the sitatunga antelope

Chyulu Hills – breathtakingly beautiful landscapes and walking country (good for riding, too)

Meru - fantastic for most big game, with a brilliant self-catering budget cottage place with a superb little swimming pool and crazily tame female giraffe

Rukinga Ranch (Mombasa-Nairobi highway) - hundreds of elephant, most other plains game, cheetah, great-value accommodation

Ruma - roan antelope, giraffe, not another vehicle in sight

Shimba Hills – great place to get away from the coast for a night, beautiful forest, waterfalls, very enjoyable Shimba Lodge

Shaba

Il Ngwesi

Arabuko Sokoke. . .

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

To Kakamega Forest and Saiwa Swamp, add Lake Bogoria, with hot springs!!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Trust Richard to come up with something completely different!!

Lucky so and so........

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

A big slog actually, thank you Min! Though I'm not denying it's fun. I should have ticked the Bogoria box, too, asifwe, thank you. Probably slightly put it to the back of my mind as I once had an unfortunate cycling encounter with a hot spring. . .

Personally, I'd love more people to venture out west and north, to take the pressure of the big parks a little and spread the money wider. It's not difficult to do, for anyone who's been to Kenya previously, or any other country in sub-Saharan Africa where you encounter a similar economic and cultural environment (pretty much anywhere apart from a package in South Africa would prepare you to venture off the beaten track a little in Kenya).

JaneB, I'd agree MM is a massive favourite for everyone, including me. If you go, I'd suggest one of the small tented camps north of the reserve itself.

Richard

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
972 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

I agree with Richard, to get out and about from the main parks is so rewarding. After many a time doing the tourist thing I ventured off the trail and had a brilliant time. My only problem was that I hadn't done my homework properly before I went about what was around the places I had planned to visit. That's why I'm going back in January to do things more thoroughly - Saiwa Swamp, Mt Elgon, Kakamega Forest, Bogoria and Baringo.

I will schedule in a visit to Lake Nakuru as I can't have a visit entirely without the chance of big game spotting, and I do love this park for the birdlife and rhino and it's compactness. Amboseli also for the scenery and animals.

But I still rate MM as my most favourite place on earth.

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

Having got engaged whilst bush camping in Aroboke Sekoke (camp fire, good bottle of red, starry night), I have a slight soft spot for it.....

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenya Experts--Please List Your Favorite Parks/Reserves

I have a soft spot for Shimba. I don't know what it is, but there's something about that place for me. Sad that just lately it's become a little "tired" but I think that was lack of tourists last year. Hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

Min x