We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

Hi

I am having a mad panic this morning about luggage allowance. Hubby and I are flying from LHR to Nairobi and going on safari for 7 days and then off to Mombasa for 7 days at the beach. On the Kenya Airways website it says LHR-Nairobi 23kg 2 pieces (I take it that means 23kg per bag and both pieces are checked in?). But then it says Nairobi-Mombasa 20kg 1 piece. What I was going to do was take 2 large soft bags for for the safari and leave one large case in Nairobi and then collect before we go to Mombasa. But I am not going to be able to do that on the Nairobi-Mombasa flight am I? What should I do?

Budgie

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

I think they'll allow you 2 x 23kg on both flights. It can't be guaranteed, but this issue must be coming up a lot. Very much doubt they'd charge excess baggage for tourists having allowed them to fly in with 46kg, though unlucky locals transporting the kitchen sink from Nbi to Msa might get stung.

Good luck, and safari njema!

Richard

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

I took up this issue with them as well and had a very helpful phone call about the query ... dont worry!!! If you have been interconnecting from International flights then there is no problem the 23kg allowance stands throughout your journey.

The allowance for the safari part however is only 15kg and a soft bag is advised (this is not Kenya Airways). We will each be packing a lightweight holdall in our main bags to transfer our safari stuff in as we were told by Governors Air we cannot amalgamate the 15kg allowance into one bag for 2 people. We are staying at the Serena first night, leave excess luggage there and then safari and back to Serena for one night then on to Mombasa for 10 nights.

They confirmed with me that you can take one piece of hand luggage and a handbag or jacket as well per person.

Hope this helps ... if you want clarification please sent me a message and I will give you the phone number of the very helpful lady who gave me all the info.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

We had a similar problem last year. I checked with KA in London before we went as we were doing a week's safari then a week in Mombasa. I told them we were taking 4 bags (we had 2 safari holdalls, 1 case for the beach, 1 case for charity, but nowhere near the weight limits) and they said it was okay.

However, when I came to check in at Nairobi for our flight down to Mombasa they got a bit humpy because the 23kg x 2 bags pp only applied if you were travelling within 72 hours of landing in Nairobi. I said that I did check beforehand and was told it was fine. They did allow us to take the 4 bags without too much hassle and no extra charges were made.

I can't guarantee what they would say if you turned up at the check-in desk with more than your allowed 20kg but it's worth the try, as long as you haven't got 96kg!!

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

i did it several times,even flying into Nbo with Virgin and then with KQ onwards to coast.Normally i have 2x 23kg plus my whole diving equipment which adds up to another 20 kg and i never paid any extra.

Good luck

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
573 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

Thanks everybody for all your help. I might take 2 holdalls (soft side but hard bottom with wheels) x 15ish kg and 1 x case 20ish kg. Or I might take 2 cases and put other type of holdalls inside. Can't decide!! What a palarva!!

Thanks once again.

Budgie.

6. Re: LHR - Nairobi - Mombasa - Kenya Airways Luggage Allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 06:29