We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Safari Destination?

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Safari Destination?

My husband and I are looking to do an African safari. I've been before (Maasi Mara- Serengeti - Nogorogoro Crater- Mombasa) and want to go to new areas to see new things, but don't want to do this at the expense of seeing the best safari parks/ wildlife experiences as my husband has never been to Africa- I don't want to take him somewhere thats not-as-good as the Mara! Any ideas? What are the best parks in Kenya? Or am I better off looking somewhere completely different e.g. Zambia/ South Africa?

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Safari Destination?

Hi Charlotte

I know most people put the Mara at the top of their lists but to be quite honest with you, I've seen fab animals at Amboseli - espeically the huge herds of elephants.

It depends what your hubby wants out of a safari. If it's good photos of elephants with Kilimanjaro in the background then Amboseli is the place. Samburu is also a good place to go, I like the ambience of it and the terrain.

However, it wouldn't hurt you to visit the Mara again, there's always something new to see there!

Min x

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Safari Destination?

No reason not to return to places you're been previously and enjoyed. I've been to the Mara and Serengeti so often, have lost count, and each time has been a different experience. None better or worse than another... just different.

I visit the Mara whenever in Kenya and never disappointed even outside the migration periods.

In Kenya there are: Samburu or Amboseli both for elephants, also unique species at Samburu; Aberdares for forest game; Lake Nakuru known for flamingos; Lk. Naivasha to visit Crescent Island for walking safari. There's also Tsavo, East and West.

In Tanzania there are: Tarangire for ellees; Lk. Manyara, small park with birdlife, ellees, blue monkeys, tree-climbing lions; Arusha NP for walking and canoe safaris; Lake Eyasi to meet with the Hadzabi & Datoga tribes. Or the Southern parks at Selous, Ruaha or Mikumi. And to the West, Katavi or Mahale.

Lots of choices, both countries. Time of year often dictates which areas better, so it's up to you.

Farther south on the continent - Zambia good for walking safaris and South Africa with wide diversity of cities, beaches, game parks (self-drives are usual). Seasons also somewhat different than in East Africa.

It's your safari, based on time of travel and budget. Get some guidebooks, some quotes and see which works for you.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Safari Destination?

I don't want to put you off Kenya, I'm going for the second time next year, but have you thought of Botswana. We went a couple of years ago and stayed at Chobe Safari Lodge. We saw many more animals than in the Mara. Great herds of elephants with babies, swimming across the river with their trunks extended like periscopes, all sorts of antelope including a herd of a dozen sable, crocs, hippos, lions, giraffes, jackals and some beautiful birds . No rhinos though. I don't think they live in Chobe. The beauty of Chobe is that you go on safari by open jeep and also by boat, so you can get really close to the hippos, crocs and elephants.

Not as cheap as Kenya though.

Haven't been to South Africa so can't comment on that.

Wherever you go have a great time.

4. Re: Best Safari Destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 06:21