We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Hello,

Silly question but will I need to wear deet mosquito repellant during the day or just in the evenings? I understood that the malaria mosquito is out an about and biting people during the evenings only and was hoping to limit the amount of DEET absorbed by my body and number of clothes ruined by the stuff to just the evenings or are there likely to be malaria mosquitos around in the daytime too?

Only a few hours to go until I leave so I'd be grateful for a quick response.

Thanks

Katherine

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Hi,

From an anti-malarial point of view you only need it from dusk onwards (you can wash it off when you go to bed if you have mosquito nets or the airconditioning on in the room). Generally you don't get bothered during the day, but if you carry it you can apply if you find yourself being bitten

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

I got bitten 30 times one day in the Masai Mara as I hadn't bothered to put on repellent. Maybe not malarial but they still itched like hell.

Try one of the natural repellents for during the day, like Mosiguard; no DEET to be absorbed.

Have a lovely holiday

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Watch out for sandflies during the day. They itch like crazy!

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Thanks guys. Is there anything that repels sandflies? Where can I get some of the natural insect repellent?

Thanks

LM

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

The locals recommended coconut oil - apply before they bite. It was too late for me.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Hi,

You get sand flies where there is damp organic debris on a beach, like seaweed, or where there is vegetation growing in the sand between high and low tide marks (both of which you get on some North Coast beaches). The best repellant is again deet, but others recommend natural repellants. See this recent thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k3…

MossyOff is also a recommended one, but I think you can only get it by mail order, not a lot of use to you

After spending a fair bit of time in the tropics in the last year or so I have found my reaction to mosquito bites has calmed down, but not my reaction to sandflies

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

If you can't get any of the fancier soothing treatments, you can find Tiger Balm in the shops it helps take the itching away

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Having decided to go au natural with mozzy protection we have 3 bottles of 50% Jungle formula we bought earlier on on a promo ... rather than let it go to waste would spraying it on the nets in the hotel give added night protection or indeed would it be of any use to the locals?

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

At Pinewood at the moment - never use repellent.

Have had 5 bites in just under a fortnight - dab of Anthisan Cream and there okay.

Think alot of fuss made out of them for nothing (still take malarone)

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito protection daytime or just nightime?

Doff - ditto on the sandflies - I have yet to find anything that works for me against them; their bites are torture. I find I'm okay during the daytime but at night I have to wear light trainers instead of flip-flops. It's a buggar. As for mosquitoes, don't even get me started. I'm one of those people who look like they've been paintballed every time I get bitten - huge, circular welts :-(

To the OP - I honestly wouldn't bother with repellent during the day but you will definitely need it between dusk and dawn when your skin is not covered. As previously mentioned, I swear by MosiGuard - no DEET at all :-)